Can I add Pea Puffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucille

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gallon tank, fully cycled, with a ton of trumpet and pond snails, and guppies. I want a group of dwarf puffer fish, but I'm afraid they would over eat and I've heard rumors that they might eat themselves to death? Should I try to take the snails out of the tank? Should I take the guppies out? What to do??

Im not someone who’s ever had puffers before. But you might want to take as many snails out and make them a breed tank so you can feed them back as the puffer eats the remainders. I believe the guppies should be fine.

I have pea puffers, and personally would not have any other fish breeds in their tank as they may shred their fins. Also, make sure you have lots of vegetation and hiding places because some can be pretty territorial. Feeding them live snails (small, medium) are a good idea and mine also love frozen bloodworms. They are great little guys!!

I have a 40 gallon tank, fully cycled, with a ton of trumpet and pond snails, and guppies. I want a group of dwarf puffer fish, but I'm afraid they would over eat and I've heard rumors that they might eat themselves to death? Should I try to take the snails out of the tank? Should I take the guppies out? What to do??

p. s. I may also get an assassin snail to get rid of the bulk of the small snails and leave the others in another tank as feeder snails. I have not heard that rumor but my sister-in-law just lost a puffer who had a very full stomach after eating many snails so... ?*♀️

Back
Top Bottom