can I add shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbonem91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
in my 20?

Its pretty much on the overstocked side but with a lot of bottom dwellers... fairly heavily planted and over filtered. I'd like to see if I can add some small shrimp but I'm not sure if my stocklist is totally compatable nor if my tank would be able to humanely house them.

I updated my "info" button with the tank specs.... and I plan to limit my guppy population via my cichlids :twisted:

do you think I could add some small shrimp? maybe a couple cherrys?

edit: my upgrade plans have been pushed off until possibly next spring - at which time I an delving into a heavily planted 70g :lol: and moving all of these fish into there

I assume my 2 panes of glass and 20 feet of open air between my tanks should keep my cichlids away from the shrimp :)

the guppy comment might have been a little misleading though... I will unfortunatly have to be the transportation method for that part of "nature"

I think it is worth a try. The botia would be the fish I would worry the most about feeding on the shrimp.

Yes, you can add shrimp. Make sure you get algae/filterfeeders, because with all those bottom feeders it will be almost impossible for the shrimp to get shrimp pellets without a bottom feeder eating it.

Cherry shrimp are cool looking and pretty hardy.

Yep, I mis-read. shrimp don't contribute much bioload compared to a fish, so a couple shouldn't be an issue.

malkore said:
Yep, I mis-read. shrimp don't contribute much bioload compared to a fish, so a couple shouldn't be an issue.

hehe - understandable :)

I think I'll look into a trio of Cherrys and see how they do - I really like the look of them and think they'd add a lot to my tank

tbonem91 said:
malkore said:

hehe - understandable :)

I think I'll look into a trio of Cherrys and see how they do - I really like the look of them and think they'd add a lot to my tank

Get 10.... they are cheaper in 10s, and psipro is a member here who breeds them and sells them to members cheap. Good shrimp too. PM him (dont have his exact screen name, just search for posts by "psi")

Back
Top Bottom