Can I add these extra fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burks

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now I have a 10gal with 2 Opaline Gourami's and 4 White Clouds.

The Gourami's are about 2" in body length, not counting the tail, each. The White Cloud's are just around 1/2" each, a little more, a little less.

Petco is having a sale on Neon Tetra's, 5 for $5. I really like the look of them and have had success raising them years ago. Would this be too many fish for the tank? I think I read someplace it was about 1" of fish per gallon maximum.

I'm currently resealing a 29g tank that will be cycled starting next week. Most of the fish will be moved from the 10g to the 29 in about 4 weeks.

I think it will be a little too much. And if you don't get the 29G sealed in time, the gouramis get pretty big, and will make meals out of the neons. At that size, they still might make a meal out of them. My dwarf gouramis ate 10 of the 12 neons I had bought. The 2 remaining were too big for them to eat.

Lonewolfblue said:
I think it will be a little too much. And if you don't get the 29G sealed in time, the gouramis get pretty big, and will make meals out of the neons. At that size, they still might make a meal out of them. My dwarf gouramis ate 10 of the 12 neons I had bought. The 2 remaining were too big for them to eat.

Alrighty then. Thanks for answering my question quickly.

Guess I'll wait for a bit. No reason to give my gourami's an expensive treat, they haven't been playing nice anyways.

The neons here are about .99 each regular price, and .49 for baby neons. I had got the regular neons, and was an expensive treat for them. Were gone in 2 days. Even with all the hiding places. The gouramis are great hunters.

You may want to keep the white clouds in the 10g. They do best in cool water (65-72F), while the gouramis need warmer water (75-80F). Plus, the gouramis will get to big for the 10g.

RoK said:
Plus, the gouramis will get to big for the 10g.

I had planned on moving them to a larger tank very soon. Not exactly sure what I want in the 29g but gouramis were included in the plan for sure.

Back
Top Bottom