Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can I breed a small number of guppies?

Hi, I was thinking of doing a sort of project involving guppies. I was wondering if I could breed one female and two males in one tank? I am trying to test which male, the female prefers. But I've heard this might cause so much aggression leading to one of them may be dying?

Any advice would be enormously helpful!

Old 06-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaloupe View Post
Hi, I was thinking of doing a sort of project involving guppies. I was wondering if I could breed one female and two males in one tank? I am trying to test which male, the female prefers. But I've heard this might cause so much aggression leading to one of them may be dying?

Any advice would be enormously helpful!
Your biggest threat won't be for the males but the female. They will both constantly bother her to death trying to breed with her. She may not even get a chance to eat.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnipper59 View Post
Your biggest threat won't be for the males but the female. They will both constantly bother her to death trying to breed with her. She may not even get a chance to eat.
Can I isolate her for a few hours in the day as to avoid stressing her out? Then put her back and continue that till she gets pregnant?
Old 06-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaloupe View Post
Can I isolate her for a few hours in the day as to avoid stressing her out? Then put her back and continue that till she gets pregnant?
That may work. Since it's just 3 guppies, you could use a 10 gallon tank and put a devider in it for her to have her own 1/3 of the tank. But I have a question for you. How are you going to find a female guppy that you know has not already mated. Males deliver entire packets of sperm during the mating process that are not all mature. When let's say the female developes 5 ripe eggs, they get fertilized. They begin to develop 5 days later, even though she already has fry developing, 4 more eggs ripen and become fertilized by some of the sperm from the same mating. 3 more days pass and she gives birth to 4 babies. She still has 4 more eggs still in her and gives birth to 4 more babies...there. You don't put her with the males again and 3 weeks go by and suddenly 4 or 5 babies are found in the tank and a week later she has 3 more. That's the way reproduction works with guppies and other live bearers too. You can pick out a nice thin but healthy female guppy that could have mated 10 minutes before you walked into the fish store.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Uh yeah. I really don't know much about breeding guppies. I'm trying to find out though. I was thinking to get a guppy that's quite close to maturation? From the store?
Old 07-01-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly unless you raise a female from a fry or someone gives you one who kept them separated as they were raising them, almost all the females you buy at a refular petstore are already pregnant.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks ! I've got a friend whos been raising fry that I think I could convince her to part with one for me.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As long as it is still tiny (under 3/8")you're good, you would be surprised how young they can start breeding

Tags
breed, guppie, guppies, small

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com