Can I do more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So went to aqadvisor and put everything in and it says I'm 95% capacity but I'm 120% on filtration so could I do alittle more... Also says I only need to do 25%pwc a week

Change the filter every two to four weeks? I'm sorry, but that's the exact opposite of what you want to do. You don't want to ever change your filter media until it's falling apart, and then you certainly don't want to replace 100% of it at the same time or you'll likely have a mini cycle.

AqAdvisor is very unreliable. For stocking advice, please let us know:
1. What size tank?
2. What filtration?
3. Current stock?
4. What you would like to add?

siva said:
Change the filter every two to four weeks? I'm sorry, but that's the exact opposite of what you want to do. You don't want to ever change your filter media until it's falling apart, and then you certainly don't want to replace 100% of it at the same time or you'll likely have a mini cycle.

AqAdvisor is very unreliable. For stocking advice, please let us know:
1. What size tank?
2. What filtration?
3. Current stock?
4. What you would like to add?

Its a 55g with a aquaclear 70 and an aquaclear 150 and an air stone my stock
6 bleeding hearts
5 har. rasborias
4 peppered cory
4 male guppies
4 neons
3 mystery snails
2 flying foxes
1 dwarf gourami
1 farlowella cat

I want to add like 3 more peppered cory a make farlowella cat and 8rcs

The only way to know whether you can add fish or not is based on your parameters. What's your nitrate reading before a water change? Are ammonia and nitrite both consistently 0ppm?

My levels are
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
pretty much always.... My plants keep my nitrates down

GrimmGoby said:
Yes you can, ASLONG as you keep up on water changes, feed them properly, and change filter every two to four weeks :)

????? What?

Don't change the filter media every two to four weeks. Alot of beneficial bacteria live in there. Just rinse it in dechlorinated water use it until it falls apart.

IMO, the best rule for stocking is common sense. I measure filtration, your commitment to pwc's and routine maintenance and swim room. If you are diligent about keeping parameters pristine, and you have good filtration...it comes down to what you see. If your eyes tell you that the tank is close to being stocked...you're stocked. If it appears everyone is happy and healthy and it looks like there's room...go for it.

Personally with your list, I'd increase the members of your schooling fish before I thought about adding different species.

Last edited:
Its a 55g with a aquaclear 70 and an aquaclear 150 and an air stone my stock
6 bleeding hearts
5 har. rasborias
4 peppered cory
4 male guppies
4 neons
3 mystery snails
2 flying foxes
1 dwarf gourami
1 farlowella cat

I want to add like 3 more peppered cory a make farlowella cat and 8rcs

I think adding atleast 2 more peppered cories is a good idea since they do best in groups of 6+. I would also add 2-3 more neons and atleast 1 more rasbora since they are schoolers that also do best with 6+. The RCS are definitely fine as well. I'm not sure on the farlowella..some of them get upwards of 9" so more than one might be pushing it IMO.

siva said:
I think adding atleast 2 more peppered cories is a good idea since they do best in groups of 6+. I would also add 2-3 more neons and atleast 1 more rasbora since they are schoolers that also do best with 6+. The RCS are definitely fine as well. I'm not sure on the farlowella..some of them get upwards of 9" so more than one might be pushing it IMO.

Yea the corys are the way to go. thought it was a myth that they liked to be in groups of 6. Myth Busted, they all act like kids on a playground now that I have 6. Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to contract that Multiple Tank Syndrome everyone has been talking about....Its contageous I understand.

The only reason I'm not updating the neons is because I had a school of 25 and I lost all of them in 8 hours to neon tetra disease

Back
Top Bottom