Can I do too many water changes? Going through a mini cycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 25 gallon fish tank, and I added too many fish at once a couple days ago. I live far away from the lfs, so let's just say I got carried away getting fish... I got 2 Rams, 1 platy, and four tetras. Before that I had 5 barbs, 5 cory cats, and 1 platy.

Anyways, since I got the rams I've been extra careful with my water levels. I tested and I had .25 ammonia :eek: I got the fish (not ALL of them of course) on the 5th. I've did an 8 gal water change on the 5th, another on the 6th, and another today. Tested my water today, no ammonia but .25 nitrites. I am wondering if I could do another 5 gal pwc tonight, or if that would be too much..

The rams are showing good color, but they are brightest right after a water change. Just don't want to stress anyone out too much.

I have a 25 gallon fish tank, and I added too many fish at once a couple days ago. I live far away from the lfs, so let's just say I got carried away getting fish... I got 2 Rams, 1 platy, and four tetras. Before that I had 5 barbs, 5 cory cats, and 1 platy.

Anyways, since I got the rams I've been extra careful with my water levels. I tested and I had .25 ammonia :eek: I got the fish (not ALL of them of course) on the 5th. I've did an 8 gal water change on the 5th, another on the 6th, and another today. Tested my water today, no ammonia but .25 nitrites. I am wondering if I could do another 5 gal pwc tonight, or if that would be too much..

The rams are showing good color, but they are brightest right after a water change. Just don't want to stress anyone out too much.

In this situation an emergency 50% water change must be performed whenever ammo or trites get over .25

Okay I will do another today. Hopefully it clears up. And my tap water has nitrites in it so that doesn't help much either!! This morning all the fish are doing good, but I will get a WC done as soon as I can.

No need to bang your head against a wall. I've done mutliple water changes in the same day to get my water parameters in a good range. If your tap has .25 nitrItes then doing a water change when your tank nitrItes are .25 isn't really going to do anything, IMO. I'd dose with Prime & retest tomorrow, if the ammonia or nitrites are >.25 then I'd do a water change.

Did a water change, not parameters are 0/0/20 or 40? I'll have to do another water change.. I don't feel well so it'll have to wait. Everyone's colors look great so I think they will be okay.. Glad this is coming to an end though.

ETA- My tap has in between 0 and .25 nitrites in it. Not quite .25 but not 0 either.

You're doing good. If you can keep your nitrAtes <40 while cycling you'll be fine. Sorry you're not feeling well & hope you're better soon.

Don't worry at all. I added all different fish because I got carried away and excited when I started and my tank wasn't even cycled yet. So just do a water change and it should be fine.

If I didn't have rams, I would let it finish of itself. I'll do a 5 gal water change and see what that does.

Okay, so after a water change last night, I tested my water this morning. If you hold the tube on the chart, nitrates are 40 ppm. If you hold it so light shines through, it's 20 ppm. I'll do another water change this after noon regardless.

Back
Top Bottom