Can I fit more ottos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I have a 29 gallon with the following:

6 neon tetras
2 female mollies
4 platys (one male, three female)
4 black longfin tetras
4 gold barbs bought by accident (fish store told me they were lemon tetras)

I know I could use a few more black longfins and barbs but dont have much room. All of the livebearers babies seem to get eaten, though few may be hiding out in my java moss. I'm not really worried about livebearers overpopulating the tank.

I an otto. Just one. Should I get a few more, I heard they like to be in groups. If so, how many can I add without overcrowding the tank?

Oto's do like to be in groups, my brother has three and they are fairly independant but when they see a fellow oto they tend to follow them around. I think one follow's another in search of food, when they find it they will graze on the food together.

My advice would be. Make sure there is enough algae for more than one oto to graze on, they die regularly through lack of food and a happy oto is a fat oto.
They won't affect your bio load too much but just make sure there is enough food to go around.

HTH

they like being together, and die easily, so make sure you can keep your water params up.

feeding may not be a problem, if they accept zucchini

Back
Top Bottom