Can I get a cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marvelleafs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My family was thinking of getting a cat, but there are concerns that it would knock over or break the fish tank and cause flooding. It is a 50 gallon tank. We (normally) would not be at home all day to watch the cat. If we were to get a cat, we would anchor the aquarium to the wall with wall anchors, adding a secure lid and line the top with aluminum foil (and removing the stuff in top obviously). Is there anything else we can do, or is it just too risky to get a cat? Any advice would be appreciated and thank you:)

Attachments

• 05923780-7CB3-4456-84BB-EA79DC05F807.jpg
    05923780-7CB3-4456-84BB-EA79DC05F807.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 29
I doubt a cat could knock 300+ lbs over but you can anchor it.

Yes get a very heavy duty top because your cat will sit on top of your aquarium because it's warm.

What you've said you will do will work and yes you can get a cat.
And welcome to AA!

The only issues I've had with cats is one broke a glass top once jumping on a 55g, and my current cats sleep on the 100 gallon and do everything they can to drink the tank water on my 5 gallon. They're unlikely to knock it over.

We are thinking of getting a cat also. Good to know people think it will be ok.

We looked after one for a few days recently and it liked to crawl in behind the cabinet, get in through the cut outs and sit in there next to the filter.

Yes a cat eats fish but do our cats even know what a fish is? (most won't)
On all of me breeder tanks the top won't completely close.
So you have about a inch or two on the front, easy for feeding etc.
Me cat always sleeps in front of it, always watching the fishes.
Almost a year later and never lost a fish because of me cat.

Just watch out with fat cats trying to sleep on top of it.
(it is warmer than room temperature so a perfect spot for cats to sleep on)
I'm not so sure if it would be good for a 30 kilo cat to sleep on top of your glass aquarium.

Beside that make sure your tops close completely and you got nothing to worry about.
Our old cat always used to drink out of it, just completely ignore'ng the fishes.

I do have a cat inside with my 72G. However, my tank has no lid whatsoever. My cat has never bothered the tank. Your cat will not knock over a full 55G. Like previous posters have said, just be aware that the cat may try to get on top of the aquarium- but definitely will not knock it over. If anything, it could end up breaking the topper and if it happens to fall inside the tank- I bet it never does that again. ;) As long as you have a strong topper and no way for the cat to get inside the tank (I suppose with an open top a cat could try to go fishing but doubtful; mine never has)- should be good to go.
I threw my cat into my turtle pond one time because he was getting a little too interested in the turtle and once he took a swim in there he hasn't bother with it since. :whistle:

It is not that you cat wil break your 50 gallon when he lays on top of it, no.
But it wil push extra weight on the seals and in time that wil stop working.
So you better keep them off at all cost, the bigger the tank the bigger the risk.

Back
Top Bottom