Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can I get a Dwarf Gourami?

I went to the lfs today and saw that they had some gorgeous Powder Blue Dwarf Gouramis. I'd never seen Gouramis look as good as these guys did! They were brightly colored with no signs of distress (patchy scales, ich, etc.). They were just beautiful! I wanted so badly to get one right then and there, but decided not to buy on impulse (yay to me for resisting the urge!!).

The reason I'm not sure if I can or should get one is because it would have to go in a 10 gallon which already has fish in it. I have (4) Neon Tetras, (4) Von Rio Tetras, and (3) Julii Corys. All of these guys are small, active, and healthy. My main concerns are... #1) Will these fish be able to share the same space and still be happy and healthy?... #2) Will getting a Gourami overcrowd the tank?

If a Gourami is basically a no go, what about a Betta (male or female... it doesn't really matter)?

Any thoughts are welcome!

Thanks,
- Mandy

Old 08-23-2005, 07:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
I don't see a problem with the corys or the neon tetras, cuz I have a dwarf gourami with them and they're fine, not sure about the von rio ones though... You might be overcrowding it a bit in the 10 gal.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Botia4Life Send a message via Yahoo to Botia4Life
A bit crowded I think, maybe bigger tank and you can get some.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It would be compatible with the other fish in the tank but that would be a pretty tight squeez for a 10g. I probably wouldn't do it because the poweder blue I had was pretty aggressive. He was in a 10g with tetras also he never killed anything but he chased them every now and then but nothing major. But your tank being pretty full already he might feel a bit more crowded than mine did. Good Luck and I hope I helped you a bit
Old 08-23-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know how you feel- it's so hard to resist a fish that you've really wanted to keep! However, IMO your tank is probably at its limit as far as stocking. I noticed in your sig that you have a sparsely stocked (well, depending on the size of your pleco) 46 gallon. If you really want the gourami, couldn't you just rehome one of your schools of tetras to your 46 gallon? Then I think you would have enough room.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll pass on it for now. I probably could transfer some of my tetras to my office tank, but I'm not going to that just yet. Something's coming up and I may end up losing my job. I won't go into detail yet just in case one of my coworkers also posts this board. I know that chances of that are probably slim, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the info again guys!
- Mandy
Old 08-23-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope everything works out ok for you.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:05 PM   #8

it might be a bit cramped, but if its only one gourami i think it would make a good centerpiece fish. Also since your cories are on the bottom and a dwarf gourami is only 2" i suggest you go for it. A gourami by himself shouldn't be aggressive at all
Old 08-23-2005, 11:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
there might not and probably won't be a conflict but you would be pushing your bioload to the max.

Tags
dwarf, dwarf gourami, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com