Can I give my fish a piece of apple??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never tried apple. They kind of dissed the cantelope.

I'm out of zucchini right now.

I'm sitting here listening to the clicks so the jerks must be eating my plants again.

I sprinkeled some crushed up peas into my tank for the first time today. All that's in there are a school of zebra danios and a school of rummynose tetras. I was a little worried about getting the bits and pieces small enough for them to eat, but they just totally devoured them. Even the smallest of the tetras was darting all over the tank with this giant green thing hanging out of its mouth. It was pretty hilarious, but next time I'm going to try to get the pieces even smaller since I was a little freaked out by them inhaling these pieces of food that were bigger than their heads.

Try a few times with the apple. You may have to remove the one that's in there now as it gets mushy, but try again. Fish are like little kids, lol...they have to try or be introduced to something a few times before they will eat it.

did you cut up the apple? you could try cutting it up into smeller pieces. i think fish moreso peck, but i think it would be similar to trying to get your mouth around the flat side of a piece of wood :p

With peas they should be blanched first (I throw them (frozen) in a small cup with a little bit of water and stick them in the microwave). I get the water boiling, then drain the water out and squish the peas so the inside pops out of the shell. I find they don't really care for the outer shell, but they love the pulp.

With any other fruit just first wash the outside so there are no possible pesticides on them. You can also try blanching them as well. I have found my fish prefer cucumber if its been blanched slighly (like 15-20seconds on high in the microwave).

Goldfish love oranges apparently. I tried it once with my barbs, and all it did was cloud the water, they didn't even look at it, but I might have to try again.

krap101 said:
did you cut up the apple? you could try cutting it up into smeller pieces. i think fish moreso peck, but i think it would be similar to trying to get your mouth around the flat side of a piece of wood :p

Well with the cantelope I tried it both ways. They didn't like it.

With the apple I put it on a clip, but they didn't touch it. I didn't soften it first though.

Maybe I'll try it again softened, but I don't want it all over the place.

I'll try a small piece tomorrow. They've already went to bed.

They love the zuc on the clip, so I tried that first.

green beans, zuch, cantalope, grapes, apples, orange slices... yep my fish and snails and even some of the shrimp jump right on them...
When I first started, it took them awhile to try it... now they dive right in.

canned green beans?? How do you do that?

My shrimp really like the peas. They open their little fans and starting feeding like crazy!!

I get the canned with no salt added and rinse them again. I have used frozen beans and frozen spinach as well.

Back
Top Bottom