Can i have rams in my community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or go for apistogramma instead hardier and real easy to sex. Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
yup ! If you can get a pair of cacatouides than you'll love them! Very fun to watch!!

image-3181044521.jpg

My male stalking his wifey!

All cichlids are aggressive to some extent, don't let that put you off. They have great personality and interesting behaviour.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They're aggressive with their own species ime, I keep them with 8 rummynose tetras and 6 hexazona barbs and the most I'll see is a rush here and there, never any deaths or injuries for that matter, except when they formed a breeding pair and killed the 2nd female but that was just the one time..

How long has the tank been running? Temp? Ph? Bolivians are way tougher than the others, gbr's are very delicate to nitrates or less than pristine water..

Its been running for id say 8 months running with fish for 6 temp is 80 let me check the ph

I have a pair of Bolivian rams & 1 female GBR in my 55g with other community fish, as well as, in my 20 gallon long I have a pair of German blue Rams... in both tanks NO aggression until they are ready to spawn...the most they do is keep all tank-mates away from their breeding site or potential site/eggs....go for it...I also have many cory's at the bottom and no deaths or injuries

I love the bolivians much hardier.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bought 6 GBRs and all are doing great in my 36 gal planted tank. I bought the pair from a breeder on EBay that other folks on here have used also, and the other 4, my LFS brought in for me. All of them have done great since the beginning; no finicky eating, no fighting.

I think it's the breeder where you get them from as to whether or not they're hardy. Just my opinion, but I believe Rivercats had told me much the same thing when I was considering buying some but was afraid of their reputation for dying off in a couple of months.

I'd say go either gbr or bolivian, just keep in mind Bolivians tend to be a bit more forgiving in the long run..

Back
Top Bottom