Can I introduce a new species to my goldfish community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowdrop7

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last November I rescued 9 goldfish (comets, I think) from a bad pond. I learned everything from this site, corresponding with some wonderful helpers for whom I am so grateful :). the move was quite an adventure! Started out with a 29G tank, but now have moved to a 50G. The little community ALL survived my beginners lack of experience and seem to be thriving in their new home. I tried some real plants, but alas they do eat them in the end. So I have silk ones now. The tank has 2 70 Aqua Clear filters and the water is very clear. There was hardly a new cycle when I moved them to their new home :D Now I would love to add 2 new different fish like perhaps another goldfish species and am wondering if any would be compatible? The little community seems very peaceful. Also, I do want to add that even though goldfish have a reputation of being 'very dirty', these are beautiful and seem pretty clean to me ;) Will be very happy for some advice here. THANKS!

They may be fine for awhile, but I believe comets get like 18"-24", and the fancies get like a foot, so eventually you're going to need to upgrade to a very large tank or a small-medium pond. If you're willing to upgrade when it needs to be, I don't see why not.

I think he means to disagree with me, and I should have asked how big they were before, so maybe I should too :p

they grow fast it doesnt matter. i wouldnt put any new fish in a 50 gallon tank with 9 goldfish. you are right about them getting big they also have a high bio load.

9 comet will outgrow the 50 gal in a year or 2, even if you start from babies.

Goldfish are called "dirty" <I hate that term!> not because they have dirt on them. People use that to mean they make lots of waste (just like other thick bodied fish.) So they can easily overwhelm a tank's carrying capacity.

In addition to the bioload problem, comets like to swim fast, and a 50 gal isn't really big enough to give them much swimming room when they get to be 12" or more.

So the short answer is, you don't want to add any more gold fish (or any other fish for that matter) unless you have plans for a 200 gal+ (8 foot) tank or a good sized pond. Also, fancies don't fare too well with comets or commons - the comets are too fast & eat all the food! The possible exceptions might be single tailed fancy (eg shubunkins), or metallic fantails. Even then, mixing fancies with commons works best in a big setup .... and 50 gal is a small setup by goldfish standard.:)

Thank you all for your input and comments, so I guess its not going to be good to add 2 more fish to the community :( . . . Just to let you know that these goldfish are probably about 1 1/2 to 2 years old. they have been in the tank for 9 months and are anything from 2 to 4 inches long. It's true they do dash around a lot so I feed them in different places so they all get a chance to eat! would you ever advise an algae eater? Or a snail?

imo, with 9 goldfish, I don't think you have any room for even an algae eater. I've heard Nerite snails are great at eating algae.

Hi Snowdrop7! Nice to hear that you upgraded to a bigger tank! And that your fish are doing well! Is your new tank a 50 gallon? Or a 55? Did you get a stand for it as well? Hope you found a better fish store than the one you were first going to!

I am slowly getting my ponds up and running for the summer...this is a pic of my comets on their first day in their upgraded pond. As soon as the bio-filter gets established, I will slowly be adding my new babies from last year.

img_1130195_0_5b7a13fe356f888471a7aeecbf9cb9d5.jpg

This pic was taken the same day...the waterfall at the bottom empties into the second pond.

img_1130195_1_1e4c548baab44bc6c009c97bcea6d978.jpg

I need to add a whole bunch of plants around the upper pond, but that will have to wait until autumn. I am just glad to get my older fish outside, finally!

Re: snails...I have been doing a whole lot of reading on this subject as I am thinking about adding a few to my tank, as well. I do NOT want hundreds of babies...so apparently a single apple snail can be a good choice. Also, nerites. I will be getting one of each in the next few days. I would worry about your 9 active comets harassing a snail...but maybe they won't. Can't speak from experience, yet. But I only have 5 smallish fancies, so I am hoping this will not be a problem in my tank.

Cathy T.

Ever my goldfish adventure

Glassbird, I just fell upon your thread actually thinking of you! It was long ago so I hope your will receive this one. Your pond looks gorgeous and I'm sure, as summer has come it just got better and better :) How happy your comets must be. Well, it's been almost a year (October 2009) since you helped me so well with my rescue effort. Much thanks to you all 9 are still well and seem to be thriving. I did persuade the community to let me upgrade to a 50 gallon tank, so there has been more room. However, as you know they GROW :turn-l: . . . Yes 3 of them must now be about 4-5" long and I'm going to be faced with another dilemma . . . Again I know the tank is getting too small. I have 2 AC 70 power filters going and 2 air stones and bubbles going, I'm still doing at least weekly water changes. For the most part the water is clear and I do try not to feed them too much. I tried live plants without success. They ended up eating them, (which I think is what they do). It is a very peaceful community and they have become real pets, eating out of my hand etc.
I know there is just no way the community here will let me get a larger tank so . . . what to do? If I could find someone with a pond who could adopt the 3 biggest ones, that would be a help, but I'd have to be sure they would take care of them, or maybe a pet store. I guess you wouldn't have experience with that? And they do seem to be wonderfully healthy and quite lovely and bright, but with them probably outgrowing the tank soon I am somewhat worried. The old pond has been transformed into a flower garden!
Anyway I will take a picture so you can see. Take care, Cloe

No one has asked the nitrate concentration. This will give a number to how well the water quality is at this point. Whether it is good or bad doesn't change the answer (No more fish), but may indicate there is already a problem. For comets to be a year old and only 2-4" is a problem (usually low quality water and/or food). If they are two years old it is even worse.

What is the nitrate concentration?
What is your current water change schedule?

Any pics? We need to be sure these are comets/long-bodied goldfish. If they are round-bodieds you are still overstocked, but it is not as bad. If you can't post any pics can you google different types of goldfish so we know we are all talking about the same thing?

Goldfish are all the same species (Carassius auratus). So if you were to add a different type it would be a different breed, not a different species.

Thanks so much for all the input. I do appreciate. After reading your post I went back with a ruler and am wrong about sizes. The biggest goldfish is about 6-7 inches long and the others are not too far behind! The water is probably not perfect: 0 ammonia, .5 nitrite, but .25 nitrate (too much I know) I think they are long bodied and will add pics soon. My digital camera is dead. I have been doing frequent water changes and feed them goldfish crisps, bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp for treats, and I do try not to overfeed.

Back
Top Bottom