Can I Kuhli (coolie)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RHCPeppers85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since I was planning my first tank, I really wanted a kuhli, but since I decided to have a planted tank, I never got any. I have since read that with enough hiding spots, they may not feel as inclined to burrow.

My tank is now established, with great readings. 30 gallon breeder, doing 5 gallon weekly changes, and my trates never go over 20-30ppm

I have:
2 dwarf gourami (1 blue, 1 flame)
5 Cory
11 neon tetra
8 bleeding heart tetra
1 bn pleco

I have read that I should get at least 3 kuhli if I get any, so my question is, can I afford (bioload of) this much more fish? I'm not too worried about hiding space, tank has good amount of rocks, and 2 pieces of d.w. that are very twisty, and plenty anacharis and crypts and a few other plants...

Would love some advice!

I believe they have a relatively small bioload so you should be okay I have 3 in my planted tank and there fine :)

I have 4 in my 29 gallon never seen them poop very small bioload almost minimal mine are full grown and since you don't have many bottom feeders they should do great!

Sounds like I'm getting the answers I hoped for!!

Loach boy, is it that the Cory cats aren't bottom feeders? Or that only 5 isn't much?

I have three in my 20 gallon long with three zebra danios three female bettas and a bn pleco and they are doing fine...oh yah and a bunch of baby mystery snails...and I have a big piece of drift wood and an amazon sword and java ferns and moss and some cambomba

Worst case scenario up your water changes to 10g a week. I do 75% water changes each week in my 125g, that's around 90g a week. I have a decent size bioload though.

Kuhli loaches are Kooli. Get them, they are fun to watch. OS.

+1 =) they are my fave fish. I have 4 brown ones. Hope to get a group of striped kind. Mine are never hiding (only when they nap!). As soon as they wake up they're playing together or lounging on plants/decor.

I really like my kuhli i have 14 in my elephant nose tank, mine are always out. You definitely should buy some :)

I got some a few days ago and so far they love to hide, hopefully as they acclimate they will come out to play!

5 is ok and they are bottom feeders but loaches are so small and skiny that its not that much

Back
Top Bottom