Can I leave carbon in place after it is used up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fprintf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting a new HOB filter, an Aquaclear 50, delivered today. I plan on running it with the default setup for a while. Is there anything wrong with leaving the carbon bag in place as a quasi-bio layer?

Granted it would be better to remove the carbon bag and replace it with true Bio-media or another sponge/floss as my searches of the forum indicated. But is there any problem leaving the carbon in place for a week or even several weeks until I can get to Walmart or the sewing store for some polyester filling?

It won't release chemicals back into the tank will it? I figure it will just harbor more of the beneficial bacteria. Thoughts?

i still use carbon in my filter... i really like how crystal clear the water looks for a few days after i install new carbon. As for your question, I leave the carbon in the bag until I change the whole media, usually around a month or two. I havn't noticed any adverse effects other than the water doesn't stay as crystal clear as when the carbon is new HTH

Ok, thanks. My plan was to not use carbon at all since with regular water changes it is probably not necessary. So I had hoped to be lazy and leave the carbon in there once it has ceased to do anything useful.

I think the best thing about the hobby now is that media is mostly reusable. No more $3 filters for my HOB penguin 170 when I can just rinse out the sponges once a week. Even better for cheap and lazy people like me! :twisted:

I use activated carbon and I leave it in until I'm ready to change the whole thing out, usually once a month.

That said I have read interesting things about carbon. If I had a planted tank I might not use it becaue some people believe it removes trace elements important to plants. Also some people think you shouldn't use it with big fish like Oscars cause the carbon breaks down after awhile and particles float loose and there is a theory that this contributes to hole in the head disease in larger fish. I don't think that theory has been proven to any real degree but it's out there so it's something to think about if you have big fish. And some believe carbon can mess with your tanks pH, especially if you neglect to rinse it well before using it in your filter.

I like carbon. I have heard all of these rumors but never seen any good evidenve to back it up. It does make the water super clear and does the job fo ammonia too. We have hundreds, sometimes thousands of fish, and our fish are always healthy. But everyone has their own opinion i guess... :roll:

Also i've read that after time activated carbon can begin to leach out what it has absorbed... so its not good to leave it in for longer than a month i believe.

i have a penguin 170 filter and it comes with a cartridge that is one single piece...its a rectangular box with carbon and then the blue pad is sealed on top of it...so if i was to change the carbon id have to change the whole thing...i havent changed it in almost 8 months...i just rinse it with every water change and i havent had a problem so far... :)

There's a lot of misinformation about carbon, what it does, and how it can go bad.

In the context of this question: yes, it'll be fine to leave it in for several weeks. Its going to serve as a bio-media..providing lots of surface area for good bacteria to grow in.

FWIW, I always run 2 sponges in my AC filters, never any carbon, and occisionally some poly-fil

Personally, I've never noticed the diffrince between having it and not. So I just follow the rule of simple is better and leave it out. But that is IMO.

I run 2 sponges in my ACs also. I used the carbon taht came with the AC out of the box, and have since ditched it once the pouch started getting weak.

Does anyone know how fast the carbon loses its effectiveness?

Would adding carbon to my AC be counterproductive since I have plants and manually add plant fertilizers?

patagonia said:
i have a penguin 170 filter and it comes with a cartridge that is one single piece...its a rectangular box with carbon and then the blue pad is sealed on top of it...so if i was to change the carbon id have to change the whole thing...i havent changed it in almost 8 months...i just rinse it with every water change and i havent had a problem so far... :)

Activated carbon has little holes that get smaller and smaller to trap molecules inside... If you leave it in this long it can eventually leach out the materials it absorbed back into the aquarium. Also you can open up those pads i believe and pour out the carbon. You can also buy activated carbon and put it back inside of that same filter pad.

This isn't aquaria related, but an interesting article about Activated carbon
http://ewr.cee.vt.edu/environmental/teach/wtprimer/carbon/sketcarb.html

if it was my choice Ashley...i wouldnt run any carbon...its just the filter that came with the tank...a lot of people in this forum dont use AC and their fish are fine so i guess most of the water supplies are really not THAT bad...hopefully one day ill go to the lfs and finally buy that Aqua Clear filter for once and for all...every time i go there to get it i end up buying something else... :lol:

I have 2 aquaclears on my tank and i still use the AC every once in a while because it just makes mywater "Crystal" clear. I put it in for about a month and then i probably don't use it again for 2 months. It's not neccessary but it does do a good job, and its what they use in a lot of water filters.

rich311k said:
ac last about a week. I dont use it at all. I think my water sparkles.

I tried going without carbon and my water always had this sort of haze to it... I think it may just be the water in my area. I use a filter that hooks on my faucet (LIke Brita) just so i can drink out of the tap. (i just can't stand the chlorine taste)

When i lived out in the country i had well water and my water was always crystal no matter what. I never used the carbon then.. LOL.. but i just like the way it makes my water look crystal clear.

Fprintf, I wouldn't leave the carbon in a filter any longer than a week, if there was actually a on-going need for it I would change it weekly.
A on-going need would indicate a problem to me.
Carbon does it job very well, very quickly, after which it is useless, even detrimental 8O
If left in too long it can become saturated and release impurities back into the water.
The continous use of carbon (fresh or old) is suspected of being a root cause of some aquarium and fish health problems, and is IMHO a waste of money.

I only use carbon when there is a job for it to do, e.g. removing meds or discoloration/odor. I haven't had a 'need' for carbon in my filters for a very long time, I only use sponges and biochem-stars in my AC500's.
I do keep carbon (and everything else you can imagine :roll: ) on hand for emergencies, and I keep it sealed airtight as it can literally suck impurities out of the air over time and become useless.

Back
Top Bottom