Can i make these additions/subtractions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
K guys, my bro and i are having a disagreement about our tank stock. As of now our 40 gallon planted community has
2 angels
10 glowlight tetra
5 hatchetfish
1 peacock eel
1 featherfin catfish
2 mystery snail

Now, i would like to get rid of the catfish which will outgrow the tank anyways, and replace it with a GBR, a couple ottos and possibly a bamboo shrimp. Then the list would be

2 angels
10 glowlight tetras
5 hatchetfish
1 peacock eel
1 german blue ram
2-3 ottos
1 bamboo shrimp
2 mystery snails

My question is, is the second option overstocked? My brother swears it is. I know it would be pushing it, but isnt it better to get rid of the potentially huge catfish? I am religous about water changes and definitly dont overfeed. Perimiters are always 0,0,<20

For filtration we run a biowheel 350 and an AC50. 20-30% pwc once a week.

Id probably drop your peacock eel aswell they get as big as the featherfin. Have you tried aqadvisor and thinkfish on google. I find one gives a very different answer to another so i call an average and think of increasing your filter size if your pushing it (im no expert and dont know the gph for your filters)

When the angels gets big they might eat the glowlights and ottos. Also I would drop the eel and catfish just too big.

lornajane89 said:
Id probably drop your peacock eel aswell they get as big as the featherfin. Have you tried aqadvisor and thinkfish on google. I find one gives a very different answer to another so i call an average and think of increasing your filter size if your pushing it (im no expert and dont know the gph for your filters)

Yes, the eel could get to about 8", but im not too worried. It is a peacock, so generally they have smaller mouths and overall dont get too big. He couldnt fit one of my fat glowlights in his mouth if he tried lol

And yes, the glowlights and the angels is a bit risky. I am hoping for the best, as the one angel is small, and the larger one was raised with the glowlights.

So do overall, if i got rid of the cat could i get some ottos (do you suggest another small algea eater that wont get eaten?) and a german blue?

This is what i got from aqadvisor
The stocking plan i made on it was
2 angels, 1gbr, 3 otos, 10 glowlights, 5 haychets, 1 peacock eel

Peecock eels only tend to get around 8" and have very small mouths, they are not the problem. I think if you got rid of the catfish since you want to anyway, would be fine and the additions look and work work good IMO.

....post pics when you get them :)

Sharkbait54 said:
Peecock eels only tend to get around 8" and have very small mouths, they are not the problem. I think if you got rid of the catfish since you want to anyway, would be fine and the additions look and work work good IMO.

....post pics when you get them :)

Thanks!

I am thinking of pitbull plecos instead of the otos now, i like em more. That would put me at 81%

Oh, i dont really kno much about your eel i did do a bit of reading and they are supposed to b peaceful. I just rehoused 2x featherfins i kept with kuhlis. they werent any trouble just would have got too big. I think ottos would be better for algae i thought most plecos outgrow the glass polishing at some point in their life.

lornajane89 said:
Oh, i dont really kno much about your eel i did do a bit of reading and they are supposed to b peaceful. I just rehoused 2x featherfins i kept with kuhlis. they werent any trouble just would have got too big. I think ottos would be better for algae i thought most plecos outgrow the glass polishing at some point in their life.

Ya, i think ill get rid of him if my brother will let me.

The pitbulls are very cool, they need wood though. I think that they eat algae forever though

Back
Top Bottom