can i move my intake pipe away from filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mat1018

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 55 gallon tank with a hob canister filter on the end of it and i want to move the intake pipe to the middle of my tank. so my question is will that affect the proformance of the filter? i have power heads in the tank but i feel like the intake is stuck in the corner and doesnt suck as much junk as it could. so i would use 2 90 degree elbows and stright pipe imo it should work but just need some input.

Moving the intake to a position where the most amount of debris can be picked up is always a good thing. You can observe flow patterns by watching where debris (often after tank maintenance) flows, accumulates, or settles.

Yea I already know where the junk is most of the time and I have it in a corner of the tank and its a hob canister so I have it in a good position for the discharge side but the in tank is in the corner and needs to be moved.

I'm missing something here. It seems like you're trying to add a horizontal extension tube to the HOB filter. Why not just move the entire HOB filter to the center of the tank, or wherever you want the intake tube to be? I think too long of an extension might cause it to lose some flow rate, not sure.

David

If you can't move the whole filter I'd just add one 90° elbow and leave the intake horizontal. Two elbows really could reduce flow which would be counterproductive to sucking in more debris.

Back
Top Bottom