Can I put reptile sand in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to have a heavily planted tank with a moss carpet and then a little deer trail in the middle to make it look like a forest. I am at my LFS right now and all they have is reptile sand and not sand for aquariums. Will the reptile sand be toxic to my fish or can I use it?

NatureFish
????

I want to have a heavily planted tank with a moss carpet and then a little deer trail in the middle to make it look like a forest. I am at my LFS right now and all they have is reptile sand and not sand for aquariums. Will the reptile sand be toxic to my fish or can I use it?

NatureFish
????

I don't know but... why use it?
There are so many other sands you can use that are safe and real cheap. My preference is pool filter sand, 10 bucks for 50 lbs and there is play sand, cheap as well.

Well I can't find any fish safe sand anywhere. So do you think sand from Home Depot will work?

NatureFish
????

Will this work? Quikrete, 50 lb. Play Sand, 111351 at The Home Depot - Mobile
So why won't the reptile sand work?
????

That will probably work. I know a lot of people have used it. Just make sure you rinse the heck out of it, and then rinse it some more before you put it in the tank. I think play sand is usually a little dirtier and less uniform than Pool Filter Sand.

The reptile sand may work, but since it's not designed to be submerged, it could be dirtier, dustier, and who knows what else. I think some brands even put vitamins and minerals in it. I would recommend a sand that stays inert and won't affect the water.

Exo terra makes a riverbed sand for aquatic turtles, I like the color but it can be pretty pricey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't use it because they get those different colors by dying the sand.
I would avoid it as who knows what kind of issues it could cause.

Did a little digging on the zoo med site. Here's a snippet from the reptisand listing.

Made of pure quartz desert sand, which is a better alternative to manufactured silica sand. Finely ground to help prevent impaction if consumed by your pet. Contains no additives, dyes, or colors. Each 5 lb bag fills a 10 gallon terrarium. Available in three natural colors to suit any desert-dwelling reptile.

I don't see why it'd be an issue but it looks extremely fine grained so it'd probably get moved/blown around really easily by water movement and fish.

Note* this is for zoo med reptisand and not other brands/types. They also have one called 'vita sand' that is calcium carbonate (crushed coral anyone?) fortified with vitamins.

Last edited:
If not ill have to order my sand online. What brand of aquarium sand do ya'll recommend?

NatureFish
????

I dont know if its safe, but i don't use play san either. My vote is for super cheap pool sand. Its heavier then play sand so it settles faster ( less likely to get in your filter then play sand)

Any pool filter sand brand will work. Any brand play sand will work too. You can also get black sand call blasting grit. Black Diamond is one brand. Just ask for blasting sand at a tractor supply place or hardware store. It should say coal slag. Some of it is crushed garnet which would be fine too but it can have sharp edges and isn't recommended for bottom dwellers. It would be okay for fish though. I would think the calcium sand would work but it would raise the PH. Any quartz sand would be good.

Will pool sand effect my water parameters? I plan on having bottom dwellers and a betta.

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom