Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can i take all the fish out?

My nitrate level is high but my ammonia level is normal. I've been changing the water every other day to see if I can get the nitrate level down but it's not working. I have a vacuum and I've been vacuuming regularly but I still think the problem is the bottom is too dirty.

Can I take all the fish out of the tank and put them in a bucket for an hour so I can clean the tank thoroughly?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't see why not. I did just that when a did a re-haul on my landscaping.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just remember if you clean to thoroughly you could clean your good nitrifiying bacteria
Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Also, you could try cleaning your filter real well, there could be lots of gunk in there. Just remember to float your media in the tank while you clean the filter. Your fish should be fine in a bucket with an air stone running and/or with the filter hung on the bucket for a short while. If you can also put your heater in the bucket and a few plants they will be more comfortable.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank and what fish are in there? Perhaps you're overstocked and fighting a losing battle.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

When I moved from wisconsin to iowa I put my two tanks in two large plastic storage tubs one tub had a black more and common goldfish. the other one had six miscellaneous medium size african ciclids. Both tubs had an air line stuck in there. And I didn't lose any fish. it was about a 11 hour ordeal
Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blert
Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Also, you could try cleaning your filter real well, there could be lots of gunk in there. Just remember to float your media in the tank while you clean the filter. Your fish should be fine in a bucket with an air stone running and/or with the filter hung on the bucket for a short while. If you can also put your heater in the bucket and a few plants they will be more comfortable.
If you float your filter media in your tank its going to fill your water with muddy gunk and fish crap...trust me
Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarpon

If you float your filter media in your tank its going to fill your water with muddy gunk and fish crap...trust me
LOL. Rinse it in a bucket of old tank water first.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, do that haha. Also i put my fish in a large bait bucket with an aerator while moving my tank to a different house similar to whats said before. So sure!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have a ugf sometimes that's the cause in older tank and high nitates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com