can i use african cichlid substrate for freshwater stingray tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monstercats23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
im settin up another freshwater stingray tank and was going to use this cichlid substrate by eco complete with aragonite but didnt know if it would work for the rays. i had a couple of rays years ago with some sand i got at the local pet store but i have this stuff that i had from my cichlid tank and was gonna put it in my 150 gl tank for rays. it looks likes fine enough sand or substrate for them.

If it is sharp or abrasive I wouldn't use it. Many people that keep rays do so in barebottom tanks. Rough substrates can be very harmful to the soft underside of rays and if you are going to send the money on one, then you most likely aren't going to want it to become injured swimming around the tank, which can happen if the substrate is too rough.

I keep sand in my stingray's tank. He loves to burrow in it! Personally, I think a bare bottom tank would be cruel for stingrays because their defense mechanism is to bury themselves. Plus mine loves to burrow looking for stray black worms.

Back
Top Bottom