Can I use lake beach sand in freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iris135

Aquarium Advice Regular
I live near Lake Erie, so I was thinking free sand! But would it be safe to use in a small freshwater tank? I was going to boil it. The sand has a lot of crushed zebra mussel shells in it. Will that effect the water parameters?

I used sand from Lake Superior in one of my 10g's. Boiled it, then dried it before I used it. It's a little dark for my taste, but didn't cause any problems. Just beware that like with anything natural you put in you tank, there is a certain risk involved.

I would be worried about using it. Do you like the way it looks or is it more of a budget thing?
I bought a 40 lbs bag of pool filter sand for $11.99 and I have enough sand for a 55g and a 30g. and looks real nice.

I think I have already decided against it. It's more of a convenience thing. I'm starting a new 8 gallon. I'm going to use mostly Shrimp Stratum and leftover EcoComplete. I just wanted a small amount sand for one corner and I didn't want a big bag of leftovers.

Back
Top Bottom