Can I use sand from SW tank in FW tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1stBlu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can I use sand from a saltwater tank in a freshwater tank. My sister took down her salt water a long time ago and gave it tome. I’m going to make it a fresh water tank

For the cost of a bag of sand i wouldnt risk it. How big is the tank?

If the sand is "live sand" it will have value to a saltwater aquarium keeper. You could probably get a saltwater guy to swap your sand for some new substrate suitable for freshwater. You both get something out of it that way.

If the sand is still live it will have all sorts of organisms in there that will simply die in freshwater and pollute the water. Not to mention it will have salt in there. But those organisms will be of benefit to a saltwater aquarium.

I would also recommend changing all the filter media for the same reason. There is nothing of benefit on the media for your FW aquarium, but you risk polluting your system as these organisms die off. You could treat it all with a bleech solution i suppose, but just getting new is the safest way to go.

Sand

Thank you so much for the advice to not use old sand from a salt water tank. I bought new sand. Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom