Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can I use this to start a fishless cycle?

I've found it in B&Q, so the question is as in the title
If yes, any ideas of how much should I use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amoniak1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	66729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amoniak2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	66730  

Old 12-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is not usable to cycle an aquarium. The sulphate would also raise the pH.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not a good idea. The issue will be the sulphate (sulfur) aspect of this product. Im not chemist, but i believe in water the sulphate combines with h20 to create sulfuric acid which is extremely acidic. If you are looking for an exact explanation, i would ask aqua chem.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Shame
Guess I need to look further. I thought that I could just do a big water change towards the end of cycle, but sulphur might indeed be a big issue :/

Anyone from UK has any ideas what to use then?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can u not get ahold of ammonia in a bottle?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnewbe420
Can u not get ahold of ammonia in a bottle?
I'm trying, but believe me, it's hard As for now I've found this and some bottled stuff on eBay. But it's Christmas so I don't know how the post will work :/
Any ideas where else to look?
Old 12-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Umm raw shrimp or a dead fish
Old 12-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to pitdogg2 Send a message via Yahoo to pitdogg2
If you're bound and determined to use ammonia they sell bottles at the store just make sure it doesn't have any scents(lemon,orange) added. I find it hard to believe in the UK geesh it's in the floor cleaner isle.

If all else fails dump in some fish food
Old 12-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Hmmm. This is an interesting idea.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to be a big deal. Sulphate (sulfate to us yankees) is actually a really poor base, so I would doubt that it would affect pH at all. Remember that sulfate is the anion of both Epsom salt (MgSO4) and the dry fert that we use to directly administer potassium (K2SO4), and both are used already in aquariums. I doubt sulfate will be an issue.

Recall that sulfuric acid cannot form in water as it is a strong acid. Hydrogen sulfate (HSO4-) will not form in appreciable amounts near neutral pH.

Honestly, I would say that you'll probably be fine. My only concerns is measuring out 4 ppm. You'll want a dry scale so you can measure out the right amount. If you want to take that path, I would be more than happy to help with the math.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem
Hmmm. This is an interesting idea.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to be a big deal. Sulphate (sulfate to us yankees) is actually a really poor base, so I would doubt that it would affect pH at all. Remember that sulfate is the anion of both Epsom salt (MgSO4) and the dry fert that we use to directly administer potassium (K2SO4), and both are used already in aquariums. I doubt sulfate will be an issue.

Recall that sulfuric acid cannot form in water as it is a strong acid. Hydrogen sulfate (HSO4-) will not form in appreciable amount neat neutral pH.

Honestly, I would say that you'll probably be fine. My only concerns is measuring out 4 ppm. You'll want a dry scale so you can measure out the right amount. If you want to take that path, I would be more than happy to help with the math.
Are you part genius???? Haha what he said ^^^^
Old 12-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Running some quick numbers... I don't think sulfate will change pH at all, especially in a buffered system.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

From the back of the box:

Quote:
Anyone prone to allergies should satisfy themselves that they can handle this product without difficulty
England is weird...
Old 12-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem
From the back of the box:

England is weird...
England ain't weird, we just don't act like pansies over allergies
Old 12-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you Aquachem for the correct information!! I am curious if the amount of sulfur in this product would affect cycling in any fashion?
Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's Christmas now so there isn't too much time to look for the ammonia (at least for me ), but I'll do another round through the shops Monday or Tuesday. If I won't find the one In the bottle, I'll get the one I've found already. Just for the sake of experiment, if not for anything else (as long as it won't dissolve the seal in the tank!)

Ps.
England IS weird, and I'm saying that because I'm from Poland
Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by senemedar
It's Christmas now so there isn't too much time to look for the ammonia (at least for me ), but I'll do another round through the shops Monday or Tuesday. If I won't find the one In the bottle, I'll get the one I've found already. Just for the sake of experiment, if not for anything else (as long as it won't dissolve the seal in the tank!)

Ps.
England IS weird, and I'm saying that because I'm from Poland
That last part sounded borderline offensive lol!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouser

That last part sounded borderline offensive lol!
Ouch!! I didn't mean to
Believe me it was positive-weird, not negative-weird. It's the place I call home now and if it was for the latter I'd be back in Poland in no-time...
I really love England
Old 12-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by senemedar

Ouch!! I didn't mean to
Believe me it was positive-weird, not negative-weird. It's the place I call home now and if it was for the latter I'd be back in Poland in no-time...
I really love England
Haha don't worry, no worries :
Old 12-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ha!
In a (un?)expected turn of events my wife is giving a doubt to a whole idea of cycling a new tank in order to just move the old fishes to it.
So she asks, if I couldn't just move all the old filters and water to a new tank (no gravel, I already have the new one in) with the fishes and everything. I did that already and it did work once, but this time the tank is slightly bigger...
The idea is rather appealing, so now the question arise-- how to do this as much stress-free for my little friends-- any ideas?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

As long as you move the old filter and are not adding any extra fish. U should be fine most of the beneficial bacteria live in the filter. You might get like a little mini cycle but you should be fine. You'll just have to test your water and keep an eye on things

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com