Can my floor support a 20g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
This may seem like a really dumb question, but I just moved, to a third floor appartment, and I don't want to take the risk that the neighbour below me will be flooded. I know the cabinet can support it, it has for 4 years before. I'm not sure my floor is 100% level, but it is 99%, should I put something underneath my cabinet to make it 100%, or should it be ok? If I fill it a bit I don't see a difference in water level on any side, so I'm thinking it's ok.
Just need some reassurance I guess :D

As long as it is close to level you have nothing to worry about. It is only 200 pounds, I out weigh it by quite a bit.

Thanks, I needed the reassurance :) I'm filling it up as we speak. I looked under the carpet tiles in my hall and I have a nice solid concrete floor underneath it, so I'll be fine.
I'll post pics once I reainstalled everything, I'm going to change my plants around a bit. My great lfs is holding on to my fish and plants for me in the meantime.

For future reference, wanter is approximately 8.34 lbs per gallon. Tanks are pretty light as are stands. Substrate and decorations add a bit more weight depending on the size of the tank.

I wouldn't concern myself with tank weight / floor support unless the tank is over 75 gal. So long as you have a stand designed to hold the tank 75 gal or less, it's really not a problem, IMO.

theotheragentm said:
For future reference, wanter is approximately 8.34 lbs per gallon. Tanks are pretty light as are stands. Substrate and decorations add a bit more weight depending on the size of the tank.

This is true, but once you factor in gravel, tank, stand, filters, decoration, etc... it's closer to 10 lbs a gallon or a little more than that. I'd say a 20g weighs in the ballpark of 200-250lbs.

Water, gravel, stand, filters, canopy, lighting, etc. Weight adds up pretty quickly with tanks. I bet my 40g weighs a good 100lbs more than I expected. A 20g will be perfectly fine.

But since I live on a ground floor with solid concrete below. I wouldn't be afraid to put a 500g on my floor!

I just helped a friend prep a 285G SW Reef tank a few weeks ago. He just bought the condo he lives in and is on the 4th floor ;)

I wouldnt worry about it unless you happen to know about structural issues with where you live, and if thats the case then you should be taking it up with management for safety reasons.

-Pleco

It's been filled up for 2 days with gravel on the stand now, and it's fine, floor is solid enough, no water movement when I walk past it or anything, not even when I jump up and down right next to it :p Only thing that will add some more weight is a decent piece of driftwood, but I'm pretty sure that'll be fine too.
Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom