Can one guppy live in a mini tank temporarily?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a fancy male guppy who has been getting picked on by the two other guppies and the school of long fins I have. He has open wounds on his body.

Last night I took him out and put him in a really big tuberware for the night, once I get out of class I was going to pick up a mini tank for him to recover in and possible live the rest of his life if he never gets along with his tank mates. Assuming I can't find him a new home.

My question is what is the smallest tank he could be comfortable in? Can he live alone or will it stress him out?

Thank you for suck a quick reply!

What about a snail or shrimp instead? I don't want him to pester a female because then I will have to buy her a tank too. My 30 gal has two male guppies and three long fin danios. Two ghost shrimp.

Will being alone stress him out? At least while he recovers I want him to be alone. I don't want any one to pick at him.

If I buy a new tank I can't cycle it correctly because the guppy needs to go there ASAP. Right?

No. Take the time to cycle, once it's done, transfer your guppy, he won't die, he'll just won't thrive the time he's in the 10g...

In the 10g ???

In a plastic pot he'll die from ammonia poisoning. You're better to cycle a new tank with him inside than keep him in a little pot without filtration.

That's what I was thinking. I did a 90% water change in his 1.5 gal bowl he was in and added some of the 30 gal's water to the new five gal I bought. It's just going to be my hospital tank. The plan is to try him a again in the 30 gal after he is recovered. He did fine in the bowl over night. In about two hours my bf will put him in the five gal. It will have been running for 18 hours.

My bf is going to add some filter stuff from the 30g to the 5, and I'm taking a fake plant and some gravel too.

Thank you for the advice! Blaze, the guppy, pooped a ton and ate well the am and last night. I treated his bowl with a few drops of malakit too.

Blaze died in his new home last night. we will continue to run this tank and cycle it for a hospital tank.

Rip poor beautiful blaze. Sorry I wasn't more prepared for you.

you can get even a 2.5 gallon if he is going to be ALONE. and i would suggest some nutrafin biological cycle, api quick start, or the fluval biological enhancer to speed up the cycle and pretty much add fish immediately.

you can get even a 2.5 gallon if he is going to be ALONE. and i would suggest some nutrafin biological cycle, api quick start, or the fluval biological enhancer to speed up the cycle and pretty much add fish immediately.
just stop all that right there with the names there ...

Back
Top Bottom