Can/should I get any other tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeyblaze8814

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I have a 72g bow front tank w/ 2 406 canister filters

My current community:

1 angelfish
3 boesmani rainbows
7 tetra glofish
3 rummynose

I've tried stocking more rummynose, but I can't keep them alive for anything!

Should I get more rainbows or is the tank not big enough?

Any other smaller type fish similar to rummynose I can get?

Any help is appreciated

IMG_7040.jpg

You have so many options. Research the various types of rainbows. Some school better than others. As for tetras, I keep a school of Columbians. I like their deep blue coloring and red tails. They are large for tetras, and tough. Considering the size of your tank and filtration, you are not even close to being overstocked.
Stocking level numbers vary. It really comes down to, how much filtration, and how many water changes your willing to make, within reason. Not a good idea to keep an Oscar in a five gallon tank. Nice looking tank.

The B. Rainbows will become surprisingly large and chase around the tank like a lightning bolt.

Do you have one male and 2 females. My pair, the male pretty much wore out the female with chasing.

I have this tank and love it.

Longfin Green Dragon Plecos

I love Angel fish, but after being able to keep 2 pair happily in a tank ( a death changed the dynamics), it turned to a fight zone with the mature Angels always looking at having a fight with the other scared to come out of the bottom 1/3rd of the tank fish. Even changing at least 3 fish out of the tank and trying different combos... I would stick with 1 if you want to have peace. Even tried to have 3 males and it did not work for me.

Maybe another Trio of different color Rainbows.

Neons or Green Neons
Green Microdevario Kubotai Rasboras

I suggest adding a few more angelfish. They are much happier in groups. And very attractive.
I think so too I also have a 72 bow with two angelfish as the centerpieces theyre awesome everyone loves them.

I've tried stocking more rummynose, but I can't keep them alive for anything!

The captive bred rummynose are usually more tolerant of different conditions and generally hardier than the wild caught rummynose.

I suggest adding a few more angelfish. They are much happier in groups. And very attractive.

Angelfish can be surprisingly territorial towards each other once they get bigger. In my experience you either need a big group (8+ in a suitable sized tank) or a single fish. A pair will work but they can cause havoc if they decide they want to spawn.

Angels are one of those fish that are fine together for a long time and then one day it turns into chaos.

Back
Top Bottom