Can someone help a beginner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar_

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need this hobby to help me with my stress. I hope someone can help me. I want to did right.

I currently have had a betta for over a year and want to upgrade to a 10 or 20 gallon community tank...

Questions that I have:

10 or 20g?
What fish do well with a male betta?
Do neon tetras do well? Will they fit in a 20g?
How many fish/types can I put?
Live plants or plastic?
When cleaning a tank that size do I remove everything or just remove and add water?
What brand tank? Or for that matter what brand for the filter and heater?

I understand I will have to cycle the tank but I'll read up on that when I get there.

I want this to be semi easy to follow because I don't want any lost fish..

Please help me. I want this to be perfect! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I need this hobby to help me with my stress. I hope someone can help me. I want to did right.

I currently have had a betta for over a year and want to upgrade to a 10 or 20 gallon community tank...

Questions that I have:

10 or 20g?
What fish do well with a male betta?
Do neon tetras do well? Will they fit in a 20g?
How many fish/types can I put?
Live plants or plastic?
When cleaning a tank that size do I remove everything or just remove and add water?
What brand tank? Or for that matter what brand for the filter and heater?

I understand I will have to cycle the tank but I'll read up on that when I get there.

I want this to be semi easy to follow because I don't want any lost fish..

Please help me. I want this to be perfect! :)

Lots of questions. I'll try to answer your questions without discouraging you.

20g, larger tanks are more stable

Tricky to answer, better to list the fish you like and research them, crossing off the ones that aren't compatible.

Generally. A 20g is plenty for a school.

Rule/ guide is 1" adult per gallon. ( don't put a 20" fish in a 20g but 20 neons would be fine)

I prefer live but I've used plastic also. Live plants come with good and bad so I'd recommend plastic until you're sure about caring for fish.

Just remove and add water and vacuum the gravel

Generally, brands don't matter; all are designed to perform a certain function. There are some that are better than others and you'll do well to do a little research. Popular or expensive doesn't equal better.

I admire the idea of perfection and you're off to a perfect start. Post your progress.

Also, as you are rather new, you should stock lightly as it will ease up on maintenance demand and as you practice you can start stocking heavier. I believe cherry barbs are one of the few barbs that will work well with bettas. I would stay away from other labyrinth breathers like Gourami's and other bettas. Platies also work well.

Research makes perfect. :)

jasonfishaddict; Rule/ guide is 1" adult per gallon. ( don't put a 20" fish in a 20g but 20 neons would be fine) Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE said:
Neons get bigger than 1". Adult size would be closer to 1.5"

By the rule you stated that would make 13/14 neons in a 20g. We all know this is stupid as its hardly any fish. The inch to gallon rule is old and outdated and really shouldn't be used anymore.

Instead go to www.aquadvisor.com and punch in your tank stats and potential stocking. It will highlight any potential problems. Although not 100% accurate it is a much better guide than the 'rule' mentioned

Last edited:
If it is a 20 H, 20 neons in addition to the betta is definitely too much, and even a bit much for a long 20. The advice to stock slowly is wise. Maybe start with a small group of 6 or 8 of them and see how it goes, just in case your betta is a bully. Even with standard fluorescent lighting, you can mix a few live plants in with plastic ones to make the tank a more natural place and provide hiding spots for your fish. Anubias, java ferns, crypts and wisteria all adapt to lower light levels. There are excellent articles on this forum under "Getting Started." Good luck and have fun de-stressing. :)

Here is a direct link to the page of good articles: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

Last edited:
I would definitely recommend a 20 over a 10. Even better if it's a 20 long.

Not all bettas do well in a community. Cycle the tank and add the other fish first, betta last. Be prepared to remove the betta if he gets too aggressive.

If it were me, I would do a sand bottom with plastic plants and a piece of driftwood. I'd get 5 corydoras (small ones like panda or pygmy) and 8 neons if you like them. This is a fairly light stock for a 20 long - 55% at aqadvisor.com.

Neons may not be the best choice with a betta, but usually work fine. Harlequin rasboras seem to work well for most people. Any kind of snail also works.

I'd say Aquaclear 30 for the filter if you stock lightly.

I agree on adding the betta last. That way he hasn't claimed the tank without the other fish knowing.

Neons get bigger than 1". Adult size would be closer to 1.5"

By the rule you stated that would make 13/14 neons in a 20g. We all know this is stupid as its hardly any fish. The inch to gallon rule is old and outdated and really shouldn't be used anymore.

Instead go to www.aquadvisor.com and punch in your tank stats and potential stocking. It will highlight any potential problems. Although not 100% accurate it is a much better guide than the 'rule' mentioned

This rule may be outdated but it gives a starting point. Once a novice aquarist gains experience and confidence, stocking levels and compatibility, can be explored. We wouldn't want to set anyone up for failure, would we?

This rule may be outdated but it gives a starting point. Once a novice aquarist gains experience and confidence, stocking levels and compatibility, can be explored. We wouldn't want to set anyone up for failure, would we?

Im sure i suggested aquadvisor in my post. A lot of 'experienced' aquarists use it and recommend it

I recommend (and all my fish keeping friends recommend) it too. :) Aqadvisor also airs on the side of caution as you will be able to stock more, but it is quite safe to stay under 100%. It is very useful when stocking so I suggest you use it OP.

Best of luck, - Raymond

the inch per gallon rule is setting them up for failure

Thankyou!!! Glad somebody agrees with me.

Theres a reason why a 'rule' becomes outdated, and the reason is...... Its useless!!!

"hey guys just stocked my 100G with 10 x 10" plecos!" Like it is not even close to smart and is actually quite cruel. Probably the worst advice ive seen tossed around is the inch per gallon rule.

"hey guys just stocked my 100G with 10 x 10" plecos!" Like it is not even close to smart and is actually quite cruel. Probably the worst advice ive seen tossed around is the inch per gallon rule.

Even on a small scale. A 1" neon tetra in a 1G bowl. Yes the fish will fit, but what about the individual needs of that fish? Swimming space and school size.

This is where aquadvisor is a good tool for beginners as it will tell you, for example, tetras are best in a school of 6

It will also tell you that your betta is unsafe with a gourami. :)

Very useful site for beginners and is the best guide to use until you gain more experience.

No need to be cruel, I've been keeping fish successfully for 20 years and never really had a need to change what has worked for me in the past.
If there's useful updated information out there, by all means use it; but a little common sense goes a long way.

No need to be cruel, I've been keeping fish successfully for 20 years and never really had a need to change what has worked for me in the past.
If there's useful updated information out there, by all means use it; but a little common sense goes a long way.

no one is being cruel, just honest and demonstrating ways a rule can be misleading for a beginner as well as harmful to fish.

It will also tell you that your betta is unsafe with a gourami. :)

Very useful site for beginners and is the best guide to use until you gain more experience.

My betta and dwarf gourami lived happily together in a 60 G but i believe that was pure coincidence.

Well your tank was a 60 gallon and the amount that much space will help. I just meant in general they tend not to get along. There are exceptions like yours for instance. I once had a sorority where three of the females would swim around and share food. They never fought with each other and only were territorial to the other two females. So there are exceptions, but typically anabantids don't do well with each other.

Back
Top Bottom