Can someone help me? I made a medicine mistake.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello. One of my fish has Popeye, so I went out and bought some Maracyn-Two which seems to target my fish's problems.
(Please refer to this thread for further detail and explanation: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/please-help-fish-with-popeye-137336.html)

Anyway, I read the directions thoroughy before dosing the tank, and put in the medicine. The only thing mentioned about Carbon Filters was that you can put one in if the water is cloudy after the medication. I didn't realize at the time that that meant you were supposed to take it out if you had one in already!

here's what I did:
The instructions say: "Add two packets of powder per 10 gallons on the first day. On the 2nd-5th add one packet per 10 gallons." So, I have a 20g and added 4 packets for my first day and it's been like 15 hours since and it just clicked that I was supposed to remove the Carbon Filter before adding the meds because it might remove the medicine.

So, now I have a problem because Im not sure if I should buy more medicine and start the 5 day dosing plan over, or if that would be overdosing, or what????

So what am I supposed to do? PLEASE help me. What a
disaster!

Since you can't be sure how much medicine was removed with the carbon, I would start the dosing over again. I would do a 50% water change and then remove and discard that carbon. Start your dosing over again. When you are done with the dosing, do another 50% water change and put new carbon into your filter to remove any residual medicine and/or water cloudiness (some meds can cloud or discolor the water).

I used Maracyn II lots of times and never removed the carbon and got excellent results with it. But the carbon wasn't fresh either.

Both ways could work.

Thank you. I will try to leave the carbon in, and Mudraker said. I would rather wait to see if that works before buying more medicine.

Hopefully I will see improving results on my fish as you did. My carbon isn't completely fresh, I replaced it at the begining of the month, somewhere around Dec. 1.

Let's hope for the best!
:(

EDIT: But should I remove the carbon now for the rest of the medicine plan? Or no?

Back
Top Bottom