can the diseases you get determine how your tank is kept?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just thinking about how I only get either internal parasites in my tank or dropsy but I never get ich, swim bladder, or any of the other diseases (yet....) and I was just thinking if it tells anything about how your tank's being kept ._. ...yes I have lots of free time leave me alone lol.

well, all i know is that high ammonia or high nitrites make your fish more susceptible to getting or developing diseases, so i suppose yes it does have something to do with properly maintaining your tank.

IMO, specific diseases do not indicate specific issues with tanks. All illnesses can be brought on by water quality issues. You may not be totally ridding your tank of parasites after an outbreak. Any illness can occur if water parameters aren't pristine.

An established tank with decent water quality is not immune to disease. It only takes the introduction of new fish that are already infected to bring it to the tank. If no new fish are introduced and water quality remains good, the chances of diseases are significantly lessened.

Another source of disease which is often over looked is food poisoning. Mold can and will develop on improperly stored dry foods. Frozen foods which have thawed some and then refrozen can be rife with bacteria. Live foods have their own dangers.

IMO if the water is good, the fish are healthy. Their slime coats are working at full capacity and immune sysems. Water goes down in quality and the fish will loose ths coat and become very susseptable to disease. Just my 2c :)

here's my stance: having certain diseases/common outbreaks doesn't necessarily mean the water quality is bad, but it should always be something that is looked at. Maybe the quality isn't so much 'bad' in general, rather some parameter IS off, particularly for given species.

example, german blue rams are not tolerant of nitrates, nitrites, or pH swings, and they do not do well in hard water IMO. my planted tank water is just not suitable to them.

as for getting internal parasites, to me this is more an issue with quarantining processes, and the stock of fish that your LFS is getting in.

The funny thing is, the only fish that get the internal parasites (lately) are only dwarf gouramis and dropsy I haven't had in a while but it was usually danios and recently was a molly but she jumped out of the tank during her dropsy treatment cuz it wasn't that bad yet

Back
Top Bottom