Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Can they see?

Well, ever since I set up my 2 10G tanks on the dual stand next to the 75G, now I wonder if the GBR's actually see the babies, as they have an interest in that side of the tank? The tanks are less than 6 inches apart as well. Also wondering if maye the babies see the GBR's and other fish as well?

Old 07-19-2006, 01:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
technically, if the tanks were dead straight and the angle of viewing was dead straight, both pieces of glass would be see-through. as soon as there's an angle, it wouldn't be so easy. i think. it might also make a difference what the angle of light is, but i'm not sure on that one.

zenkatydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to MattAquaBio
I had a 10 gallon right next to my 37 gallon a while ago, the glass of the aquariums were like an inch apart. and the sunbursts were always staring at the baby catfish in the 10 gallon. And the catfish was always staring back, so yeah i'd say they can probably see (btw already moved the cat.)
Old 07-19-2006, 03:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have my 2, 10 gallon tanks right next to each other and my betta spends half his day flairing at the fish in the other tank.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to MattAquaBio
lol i'll bet thats fun to watch.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ky'smommy Send a message via MSN to Ky'smommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ky'smommy
i had my ten gallon and betta tank far apart. and i ended up with them next to each other on the counter at the new place. well my betta hangs out in the corner where the ten gallon is all the time. which he never did before for a whole year. only when he was moved to the counter.
i beleive that fish have personalitys and such. and they do know who u are. my fish come a running when i come to the tank. noone else. why cause i feed them and clean them and play with them. and i do beleive its not just they want food as so many have said before.
Fish are like anything. they know. well i believe they do. what makes them different then any other living creature? they learn to trust you. they stop being scared after a while.
so I totally agree.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:59 AM   #7

Yes they can see each other. There was a write up in THF magazine just last month on this very thing. A 10yr old boy sent a e-mail to the question and answer topic area in the magazine and asked the editer " Can my fish see me from across the room cause it always looks like there whatching me." The editor wrote back saying that even if the tanks are a foot apart the fish could still see each other and you. Because most all fish have bettter eye site then humans and if you can see in the tank from 10 foot away they can to.
My Krib fry tank was about 2'' from the main tan and the female krib would spawn with the male as long as she could see her fry in the other tank. I added a peice of poster broad between them and not 3hrs later the female was with the male and spawning.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel F.
The editor wrote back saying that even if the tanks are a foot apart the fish could still see each other and you. Because most all fish have bettter eye site then humans and if you can see in the tank from 10 foot away they can to.
Really? I believe they can see teeny details better, since they eat a lot of tiny food. But overall better than humans?

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I think they can as well, after seeing 3 GBR's going up and down, and one of the babies in the other tank doing the same. Wonder what would happen if I moved one of the babies over, lol.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com