Can they see?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, ever since I set up my 2 10G tanks on the dual stand next to the 75G, now I wonder if the GBR's actually see the babies, as they have an interest in that side of the tank? The tanks are less than 6 inches apart as well. Also wondering if maye the babies see the GBR's and other fish as well?

technically, if the tanks were dead straight and the angle of viewing was dead straight, both pieces of glass would be see-through. as soon as there's an angle, it wouldn't be so easy. i think. it might also make a difference what the angle of light is, but i'm not sure on that one.

I had a 10 gallon right next to my 37 gallon a while ago, the glass of the aquariums were like an inch apart. and the sunbursts were always staring at the baby catfish in the 10 gallon. And the catfish was always staring back, so yeah i'd say they can probably see (btw already moved the cat.)

I have my 2, 10 gallon tanks right next to each other and my betta spends half his day flairing at the fish in the other tank.

i had my ten gallon and betta tank far apart. and i ended up with them next to each other on the counter at the new place. well my betta hangs out in the corner where the ten gallon is all the time. which he never did before for a whole year. only when he was moved to the counter.
i beleive that fish have personalitys and such. and they do know who u are. my fish come a running when i come to the tank. noone else. why cause i feed them and clean them and play with them. and i do beleive its not just they want food as so many have said before.
Fish are like anything. they know. well i believe they do. what makes them different then any other living creature? they learn to trust you. they stop being scared after a while.
so I totally agree.

Yes they can see each other. There was a write up in THF magazine just last month on this very thing. A 10yr old boy sent a e-mail to the question and answer topic area in the magazine and asked the editer " Can my fish see me from across the room cause it always looks like there whatching me." The editor wrote back saying that even if the tanks are a foot apart the fish could still see each other and you. Because most all fish have bettter eye site then humans and if you can see in the tank from 10 foot away they can to.
My Krib fry tank was about 2'' from the main tan and the female krib would spawn with the male as long as she could see her fry in the other tank. I added a peice of poster broad between them and not 3hrs later the female was with the male and spawning.

Weasel F. said:
The editor wrote back saying that even if the tanks are a foot apart the fish could still see each other and you. Because most all fish have bettter eye site then humans and if you can see in the tank from 10 foot away they can to.
Really? I believe they can see teeny details better, since they eat a lot of tiny food. But overall better than humans?

I think they can as well, after seeing 3 GBR's going up and down, and one of the babies in the other tank doing the same. Wonder what would happen if I moved one of the babies over, lol.

Back
Top Bottom