can we have a sticky for stocking advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a sticky on stocking would be great.

I also think there should be a sticky on this page for beginners that screams the need to cycle your new tank before adding fish, and that gives very basic rules for cycling.

I would include in these rules the need to use chlorine and chloramine remover and the advisability of avoiding other chemicals like pH adjusters.

I would also clearly state the levels of ammonia and nitrite above which people should do partial water changes if they are cycling with fish. When I was new and came to this site, I remember having to search around to find the levels, which weren't clearly stated in the article on cycling. The levels are important for people to know even if they do fishless cycling, because they will certainly encounter the ammonia problem at some point in fishkeeping.

I think beginners who come to the site would really benefit from a bare-bones getting started sticky like that.

I would like to see a sticky on fish that need really big tanks to be kept and ones that are so big that you would need 1,500+ gallon outdoor pond to keep..

:D OK, your requests have been heard and acknowledged. I will add the sticky when I'm not not so tired (probably tomorrow night).

PS. I'll also give kudos to all that responded on this thread. :wink:

I toss my Canadian 2 cents in... :lol:
This sounds like a great idea - to the the helpees as well as the helpers!
It has really helped me to read the the requirements of a good question.

BTW, forgive my ignorance, what exactly is a "sticky" :?:

Hey can you make a stickey in the SW fourm too? I think its a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom