Can you do too frequent of water changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@HOME

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just a quick question for the more experienced keepers. I'm just wondering if changing water too frequently can harm the fish or is it beneficial. I know the suggested is %10-25 weekly but would say 20% every couple days be bad? Any other thoughts are welcome.

Is your tank cycled, or are you still going through the cycle? If it is still cycling i would say yes, go ahead and do a small change every day or two. IF you are done with the cycle, I do not think it would hurt if you did a small change ever couple of days.

I'd use a different approach: if you are cycled, that is beneficial since you keep your nitrates low. If you are not cycled, too frequent a water change is *not* beneficial (sorry LAGlocker, I disagree with you), since you will slow down your cycling process. Certainly you will artificially keep your nitrite and ammonia readings low, but your tank will not be cycled. It is not a good idea to change the water too frequently during the cycling period.

Generally, fishes like freshwater, and unless you disturb them too much (e.g., vacuum cleaning every other day), they will like this frequent change.

Great question @Home. As long as your tap water mimics your tank conditions, you can safely change up to 50% using a dechlorinator. I do this daily on my grow out tanks.

Everybody has different feelings regarding water changes but all seem to agree that it's the most beneficial thing you can do for your fish and plants. If you're prepared to do a 20% change everyday or every other day, and your fish could thank you, they would :D

HTH

Fish are in the tank, but recently I have found that the nitrate and nitrite levels aren't staying low with the weekly changes. Thinking of doing them every two or three days to see how the levels are effected. Maybe just water changes every two or three days and gravel vacum every week?

Clean fresh dechlorinated water, with temps matched is ALWAYS a good thing IMHO. Keep in mind fry tanks are usually water changed daily; if delicate lil babies can handle it, the adults will love you for it. Discus tanks often have water changes on the frequency you ask about as well.

I water change weekly, but before I got my 55g, I had 3 angelfish, 2 small clown loaches and a 6 inch plec in my 25g. I was doing changes 3x a week to keep the nitrate levels down while I was searching for the 55g at a decent price. Never had a prob.

One more side is I was thinking of adding a fluval 1 internal filter to help. Would the more frequent water changes be more beneficial than the filter. I have a 20 gal tank with an aquaclear 150 cycling the full 150gal/hr that it claims. Don't want to spend the money on the filter if the water changes will do the same or more. Thanks again for all the advice, you people are great for us not so know it alls.

Filtering does not take the place of water changes. The filters won't remove fish poop the settles in the gravel. Only gravel vac while changing water will. A lot depends on the type of fish and fish load.

*nods and adds to Brian's response*

Filters also won't remove nitrates. Keep in mind, anything you add to the tank stays there unless you remove it (except for pure H2O as it evaporates).

LOL and none of US are know it alls! We're a bunch of know some of its LOL but its the breadth of experience that adds up and the end result is usually enough info to make an informed decision :)

So changing the water every couple days and gravel vacuuming once a week would be good for the fish and keep the nitrate and nitrite levels down? Thanks again!!

If you think about it, fish in the wild are subjected to 100% water changes constantly - that is unless they live in stagnant or very slow moving pools.

The biggest danger when performing a partial water change, as I understand it, is inadvertantly causing a massive change in temperature of pH. It is also possible to forget to add dechlorinator - I've done that *grins sheepishly*. :oops:
I think that these are the reasons you never see anyone advocating a greater than 50% water change per day - if you goof up during the water change, your mistake would be diluted by at least a factor of two.

Ultimately, the minimum frequency and extent of water changes depends on the type of fish you have, the size of the tank, and the quality of your tap water.
That said, adding fresh water to any sized tank , regardless of its occupants, is like opening a window in a stuffy room - the fish love it and it is probably the best health tonic you can give them.
If I possessed the motivation, I would do 20% water changes every day (I'd also work out).
The reality is that I do a 40% water change once or twice a week (and I don't work out at all). :)

So, as long as you don't exceed 50% a day, I don't think it's possible to do too many water changes.

I have to agree with everyone and I am one who changes water very frequently, compared to many aquarists. I think the fact that I have had hardly any illness in the past year or two (and know very little about treating illness, consequently) relates to my practice of frequent water changes. My tanks are becoming more specialized and now for 2 of my tanks I can't just do a straight tap water change like I used to, as one is hard and alkaline, the other soft and acidic, but they still require frequent water changes.

Don't live plants feed of the 'trates that are left behind from the bacteria feast?
Yes they do. I had no problem maintaining about 10ppm nitrate or higher in my 55 with plants and with very frequent water changes. It was not until I upgraded my lights and added CO2 that the plants blasted through the nitrate, and I was left with zero, even after a week without changing water. Now I have to add potassium nitrate to the tank several times a week, but the water changes do more than just reduce nitrate. In the planted tank I don't really gravel vac at all, since that mulm is good for the plant roots.

Back
Top Bottom