Can you grow plants with Marineland LEDs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some water hyacinth in my pond that I would like to take inside and put in one of my tanks but I'm not sure if Marineland LEDs have the capability of sustaining plant life.

We winter ours inside each year, but you are correct, the LEDs aren't enough. We use 2 shop light strips of daylight bulbs (4 bulbs total) over the tub we put ours in. We also use Seachem Flourish (not Excel because it melts them) weekly. They need very high light and lots of ferts, so whatever tank you plan to have them in, keep that in mind.

We winter ours inside each year, but you are correct, the LEDs aren't enough. We use 2 shop light strips of daylight bulbs (4 bulbs total) over the tub we put ours in. We also use Seachem Flourish (not Excel because it melts them) weekly. They need very high light and lots of ferts, so whatever tank you plan to have them in, keep that in mind.

On my other tank I have a zoo med tropic sun fluorescent tube. Would that be ok for plants? You mentioned you winter your plants inside I was wondering what do you with your fish or if you have fish in your pond.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't know the ZooMed light, I do know we have to keep lots of light on the hyacinths and for a long period each day. We do 12 hours with the 4 foot shop bulbs. The fish stay in the pond year round. We have stock tank heaters and ice melters when we need to use them.

I don't know the ZooMed light, I do know we have to keep lots of light on the hyacinths and for a long period each day. We do 12 hours with the 4 foot shop bulbs. The fish stay in the pond year round. We have stock tank heaters and ice melters when we need to use them.

I read reviews online for the Marineland LED's and some people say they can sustain plant live and other people say they can't. If I leave them outside they'll die anyhow so I might as bring them in and see what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom