Can you help me ID this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see a cherry barb and a neon

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 to MikeM. The red is a male Cherry Barb and the other is a Neon Tetra ( not a cardinal Tetra which looks similar to the Neon in color ;) ).

Hope this helps (y)

Ok cool thanks I couldn't remember what it was and its on its own so wanted to get another

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok cool thanks I couldn't remember what it was and its on its own so wanted to get another

Female cherry barbs are a much lighter, more orange color. Best to get a bunch of females for each male. They are wonderful fish!

If their group is out of ratio (too many males not enough females to chase around) or there are only a couple, they, in my experience are bad behaved in a peaceful community.

But beautiful and usually hardy.

I started with 6 and now have 3 baby cherry barbs, so 9 all together. I have them with long fin leopard danios and have not had any nipping. They are a nice calm and hardy little fish. They are much happier in small groups. I don't know your tank size, but generally they are kept in groups of 6 or more.

I've kept cherries off and on for over 10 years. They are a very peaceful barb that can be kept even as a 1M/2F trio.

Opinions and individual experiences will vary. Individual schools will vary. I kept 12 with only three males and they were aggressive enough to as a group stand off gouramis. I had the same experience with tiger barbs. This was in a standard 55. I ended up removing all tiger or cherry barbs and going with tetras. I understand lots of people have success with them but between me and a few of my local (*ahem, older) fish keeping buddies we've always had issues with nipping anything with flowy fins.

Thanks guys I will have a look in to get some more then

Back
Top Bottom