Can you identify this growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xenomorph

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I’m just starting to notice this small, white patchy growth on my driftwood and there are also a few spots on the aquarium glass. Water parameters are fine. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3628.jpg
    IMG_3628.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 14
Hello. I’m just starting to notice this small, white patchy growth on my driftwood and there are also a few spots on the aquarium glass. Water parameters are fine. Any ideas?

They look like snail eggs to me. ;) ;) If they are in a gelatinous mass, they are snail eggs. If you don't want more snails in your aquarium, take a siphon hose and suck that jello right out of your tank. Same with any other masses you see. The fish don't eat them so they will all hatch. The snails will be providing you with a lot of egg masses so be on the look out for them. If you don't want any snails, you will need to physically remove any you see. If you don't see them, there are threads on here for making snail traps. (y)

I appreciate it and it did cross my mind they were snail eggs. Only thing that confused me is the fact that we only have juvenile nerites in that tank and they don’t look similar to the other nerite eggs I’ve seen.

I appreciate it and it did cross my mind they were snail eggs. Only thing that confused me is the fact that we only have juvenile nerites in that tank and they don’t look similar to the other nerite eggs I’ve seen.
Maybe what you have are not all nerites? The give away for snail eggs is the jello they are in. There are only a couple of marine fish that I can think of that put eggs in the jelly. (Pleco egg masses look like those but without the jelly. ) Many amphibians use the jelly too but they don't lay their eggs in nice tight bundles like that.
The good/bad news is that nerite snail eggs do not hatch in freshwater but if those are not nerite snail eggs, they may. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom