Can you put a baby beta in cominity tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so when I was at the fish store I saw all these baby beta, and I was wondering if you put a baby beta in a community tank from the start will it still be aggressive or will it adapt? I have five guppies 3 tetra and 1 pleco.
Thanks for the help
Dan

As they grow older their personality will change. If you are lucky you will get a calm one. I just put a betta in a community tank, and at first he was just a darling. Over night he killed 5 fish. The night time is when the really get active. Guppies (especially fantails) are the first usually because they kind of look like a betta - flowing fins and all. Do as you please however I wouldn't IMO!

Ok I Don't want that to happen, so I'll just throw that idea out lol thanks for the info

As said, to help make a betta work, remove any fish with big tails, or that are too colorful. On the other hand, remove any fish that are nippers. But as said, I also wouldn't recommend it:)

I have a betta with 3 rasbora soon to be 6 and 6 Neon tetras, 3 Otto and going to put shrimp in as well.mine may eat the shrimp because he did to the last few.

Here's a picture

ForumRunner_20130412_183535.jpg

have you considered investing in a tank divider? this will seperate the betta from any other fish in the tank. If you want one of those betta's, id suggest one of these

Thanks everyone.... These are some good ideas I didn't think of a tank divider but idk if that would work well with my tank... I have a beta in a small 2.5 gal tank that is filtered and planted. But I didn't know if a baby one could go in a community tank... Now I know that it won't go good in my fish community. Thanks for the help

I have a betta with 3 neon tetras ( soon to be 6 or 7 ) 2 Cory's and a bristle nose pleco ! They are fine! I also have another tank with just a single male betta gonna see how he does with a few shrimp and or snails!

Bettas being aggressive is a false state ment. They are territorial and won't bother fish unless their in its territory.

Most of the time, bettas just do their own thing and ignore the other fish.

I hate how people say bettas are killers and should always live alone, that's not true. Some. Bettas are very docile and others aren't. Sometimes it just depends on the personality of the fish.

In my experience, I've had tons of luck with bettas in community's. I've kept bettas with multiple fish people said they should never be with and it worked out fine! If anything, the other fish were a threat to the betta rather than the betta being the threat.

I wouldn't keep a betta with any fish that's weak or tiny as it will surely see it as prey, but if the betta is not the top dog in the tank, he behaves :)

I would Definitely try it out and see what happens, since its a baby he can't do any harm. As he ages, watch him a lot and see how he reacts to the other fish. Just make sure he's not homed with fin nippers as you wouldn't want his fins to be torn.

Most bettas entitled "baby betta" like at Petco is a female anyway, and they are even more compatible than males In community's :)

I'd encourage you to try it and if all else fails, rehome the lil guy or get a divider for your 2.5 and house him in there :)

Bettas being aggressive is a false state ment. They are territorial and won't bother fish unless their in its territory.

Most of the time, bettas just do their own thing and ignore the other fish.

I hate how people say bettas are killers and should always live alone, that's not true. Some. Bettas are very docile and others aren't. Sometimes it just depends on the personality of the fish.

In my experience, I've had tons of luck with bettas in community's. I've kept bettas with multiple fish people said they should never be with and it worked out fine! If anything, the other fish were a threat to the betta rather than the betta being the threat.

I wouldn't keep a betta with any fish that's weak or tiny as it will surely see it as prey, but if the betta is not the top dog in the tank, he behaves :)

I would Definitely try it out and see what happens, since its a baby he can't do any harm. As he ages, watch him a lot and see how he reacts to the other fish. Just make sure he's not homed with fin nippers as you wouldn't want his fins to be torn.

Most bettas entitled "baby betta" like at Petco is a female anyway, and they are even more compatible than males In community's :)

I'd encourage you to try it and if all else fails, rehome the lil guy or get a divider for your 2.5 and house him in there :)
It's true, though saying that female betta's are more compatible is quite variable. Some male betta's excel and being social and calm, some don't. It's the same in females, sometimes, females might even be more territorial. Good thing about females is their shorter fins, witch make them harder to nip.

It's true, though saying that female betta's are more compatible is quite variable. Some male betta's excel and being social and calm, some don't. It's the same in females, sometimes, females might even be more territorial. Good thing about females is their shorter fins, witch make them harder to nip.

I agree, it just comes down to personality again. I've never seen any problems with people about a solo female being aggressive though, and they are actually listed as "community fish" on some websites.

The most they might do is chase or nip. I have a sorority that turned out a lot better than I expected. They all get along and only occasionally nip if one comes to close :) they all gave their little area in the tank and sometimes school together ! I love bettas, their such a interesting fish.

Ok so when I was at the fish store I saw all these baby beta, and I was wondering if you put a baby beta in a community tank from the start will it still be aggressive or will it adapt? I have five guppies 3 tetra and 1 pleco.
Thanks for the help
Dan

The guy at my LFS said to go ahead and put the Betta in my community tank. I have a 36 gal. with 2 Rasboras, 2 Endlers, 4 Tetras, 2 red finned something or others, and a Corey. He is getting along well with everyone and there have been no problems whatsoever. The guy at the LSF said to stay away from fish like fancy guppies that have flowing tails but other than that, he would be okay and he was right. I added him to the tank and it's been quite some time with no problems.

Ok I'll try it out with the baby beta.. I have a ten gal with 2 baby guppies and a bristle nose so if The baby grows up, and has a problem with my guppies I can always put him in a ten gal with 5 neon tetra... I'll try it out. Thanks for the help!!! Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and pick one up... Can he eat the tropical flakes I feed the guppies and tetras... Also I feed them in a floating feeding station will a baby beta eat out of that?

The guy at my LFS said to go ahead and put the Betta in my community tank. I have a 36 gal. with 2 Rasboras, 2 Endlers, 4 Tetras, 2 red finned something or others, and a Corey. He is getting along well with everyone and there have been no problems whatsoever. The guy at the LSF said to stay away from fish like fancy guppies that have flowing tails but other than that, he would be okay and he was right. I added him to the tank and it's been quite some time with no problems.

Ok I will wait for my baby guppies to grow and put him in my ten gal with my bristle nose and maybe some neon tetra... Thanks for the help

I have had a betta with other fish (pearl gourami, cories, rams, and shrimp) for over 6 months with no problem whatsoever. He is actually the most timid fish in the tank (20gal)

Get your Cory a partner they do best with another Cory as they are schooling fish!

Get your Cory a partner they do best with another Cory as they are schooling fish!
Corydoras are not schooling fish. They are shoaling fish, witch are different things. Schooling fish usually do sychronised movements and stay together by nature. Whilst shoaling fish will stay together for social reasons, and will not be as much affected if left alone as schooling fish. I would recommend at least 4 corys.

Back
Top Bottom