Can you use Seachem Purigen in a Topfin filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nellynel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can you pack Topfin cartridge with Seachem Purigen instead of carbon?

Carbon is only needed for meds or odour removal. It's an expensive water to keep your water clear. Is the cartridge big enough for a 100ml bag??

Yes it's the large top fin filter. I got a 250ml bottle of the seachem for $10.99. I grabbed some aqua clear filter bags. The bottle says 250 mL teats 250 gal for six months. I have a 55gal so i guess I should put like 30 mL in each cartridge (2 top fin 30 filters) or should I use 100mL like you suggested. What do you think? I've never used this stuff. I thought carbon absorbs medication..

I use one bag for my 55 and it's enough.

Make sure you ONLY use Prime with it, because you can have chemical reactions that are toxic with other conditioners.

Above poster means carbon for meds, to remove meds after treatment

I use one bag for my 55 and it's enough.

Make sure you ONLY use Prime with it, because you can have chemical reactions that are toxic with other conditioners.

Above poster means carbon for meds, to remove meds after treatment

Chemical reactions...really? I wonder if that's something leaked out by seachem get more people to by Prime.....that would be messed up. Thanks for the heads up...I'll have to research that

So how much purigen should I put in my filter for a 55gal tank? Should I remove the carbon filters?
Thanks about the heads up for water conditioners

That filter bag might not work for Purigen. The smaller particles could escape and make a mess in your tank. There are bags made specifically for Purigen.

That filter bag might not work for Purigen. The smaller particles could escape and make a mess in your tank. There are bags made specifically for Purigen.

Yes, that is a good point. Purigen comes in one small bag (for up to 100 gal I think) and the larger quantity is loose and you fill the bag. It has to be a super super fine media bag since the purigen particles are so tiny.

I'm happy with one bag in my 56 gal. You will just have to see if one is enough or if you need more.

Yeah i was just trying to save some cash. I guess I'll bring these bags back. Their bags look kinda heavy duty too. I was concerned that it combined with the filter bag mesh could affect water flow too.

Ugh. That would explain the mess floating on the surface. I bought the bottle, no net with it. They told me to use pantyhose. I did not, don't have any hanging around.

Chemical reactions...really? I wonder if that's something leaked out by seachem get more people to by Prime.....that would be messed up. Thanks for the heads up...I'll have to research that

No, some companies add an ingredient to their water conditioners that actually renders the purigen 'un-rechargeable'. I did this with my first bag- thought it was all good, but could never get the chlorine smell out of the purigen (I paid $24 for that 100ml Baggie). Now I use seachem's 'Safe' and have never had a problem.
Not all brands will have that effect, but since they don't list their ingredients, it can be expensive trial and error. The seachem website has all the info on it. I just can't remember lol.

No, some companies add an ingredient to their water conditioners that actually renders the purigen 'un-rechargeable'. I did this with my first bag- thought it was all good, but could never get the chlorine smell out of the purigen (I paid $24 for that 100ml Baggie). Now I use seachem's 'Safe' and have never had a problem.
Not all brands will have that effect, but since they don't list their ingredients, it can be expensive trial and error. The seachem website has all the info on it. I just can't remember lol.

If the de-chlorinater is an Amine it causes the Purigen to be toxic as stated on their site. :banghead:

But this would most definitely be irritating!!!!!

Yes. You can put it in any filter. I have put it in internals, hobs and externals....

For a HOB did you pour it straight into the filter like with carbon or did you put it in a filter bag and then put the bag into the filter? Also did you have to use the seachem bag? I was gonna try done aquaclear bags but I can't find how many microns their bag is. Seachem says the bag has to be 180 microns.

For a HOB did you pour it straight into the filter like with carbon or did you put it in a filter bag and then put the bag into the filter? Also did you have to use the seachem bag? I was gonna try done aquaclear bags but I can't find how many microns their bag is. Seachem says the bag has to be 180 microns.
It definitely needs to be in a filter bag of some kind. You could try ebay or amazon for the micron bags. The last thing you want is those tiny beads all over your tank. If you can't find those bags the only other real option is to buy the Seachem bags. You could also try the internet for those, maybe someone might be selling them cheap. They are quite pricey for a bag. I have heard of a few people using pantyhose. I'm not recommending them because I haven't used them with the purigen but you could research it on here, start a thread. It would certainly be the cheapest option. Just make sure they are brand new, unwashed pantyhose....

It definitely needs to be in a filter bag of some kind. You could try ebay or amazon for the micron bags. The last thing you want is those tiny beads all over your tank. If you can't find those bags the only other real option is to buy the Seachem bags. You could also try the internet for those, maybe someone might be selling them cheap. They are quite pricey for a bag. I have heard of a few people using pantyhose. I'm not recommending them because I haven't used them with the purigen but you could research it on here, start a thread. It would certainly be the cheapest option. Just make sure they are brand new, unwashed pantyhose....

Ok. I think I'll just order a bag from Amazon. I got one the other day from a PS for $14. I need another one and don't know about the pantyhose thing. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom