Can you use UGJ's as the return for a canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20 20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd like to suppliment my wet-dry filter with a canister filter, and I'm also considering putting in under gravel jets. The thought occured to me that maybe I could incorporate both into one system. Has anyone ever done this? Is it a good/bad idea?

IMO you won't really gain anything by your plan. Although you will increase the bio capacity in your gravel bed, the cannister alone provides enough options to have more than adaquate bio filtration for most situations.

If I read correctly, you wish to use the outflow from the cannister filter to power the jets rather than add a seperate powerhead. I don't see any problem if the outflow is of sufficient force to do the job.

BillD said:
If I read correctly, you wish to use the outflow from the cannister filter to power the jets rather than add a seperate powerhead. I don't see any problem if the outflow is of sufficient force to do the job.

That exactly right. Question is, what cannister filter? I've already got a wet-dry filter I'm going to hook up that is more than adequate for my 125g, so it only needs to do basic water polishing, and driver the jets. I'm thinking 5 jets spread around. (Oh, and cheap, too! :D )

It would depend on how many jets it would have to power and how big the tank is and such but I would think any of the large canister filters would have outflow strong enough for UGJ's.. unless of course you want 12 jets in a 125 or something to that effect..

Back
Top Bottom