candymancan's Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I couldn't help myself.. I was in Petco today just browsing and I noticed they had 2 discus in there.. 3 inches too.. One is a Pigeon Blood, the other is a Marlboro Discus.. The pigeon looks a tiny bit stunted not a lot but a little, but the Marlboro looked great actually.. Very little peppering on both as well.. 30% off sale today... So I got both for $58. I didn't want the pigeon because he looked stunted but being 30% off I took him anyway. Yea I just measured them in my hand they are 3 inches

I couldn't resist , Im soo addicted to discus omg..

Ill take pictures of em ina second

Jelly. Here locally, Discus run $50 a pop for 2.25-2.50" and seem to do nothing except lean against the tank whilst laying on the substrate, on occasion you'll see them lounging in plants. Not something I would spend good money for.

Oh we have pretty good discus here.. Bunch of local breeders.. 5 of my discus are from a local breeder.. The 4 inch Blue Diamond I got for $70 was a local breeder and 2 of my Sunset orange discus were from him, and 2 of my blue turq babies were from him too.., and the other 5 I got were from petco, 2 of em though were special orders.. I paid $80 for my white diamond, and $70 for my Leopard Snakeskin. Those 2 are 3.5 inches, The other 3 were from tanks from Petco.. I buy from breeders or big chains.. I don't care where ever as long as they aren't severely stuned and dying.

Although my big boy Brutus I got from petco extremely sick.. Was only $20, hes 4 inches now and the leader of the pack.

GBR aren't weak, its the electric blue rams that are weak... But I have 4 of em and haven't had one die.. I keep them with my discus that way they get the warm temps and low nitrates of my discus tank.

Here are the 2 new ones I got at petco today .. They are all hiding right now, so its very hard to get close up pictures. The pigeon is slightly stunted, but the Marlboro is perfect. Also stunted discus doesn't mean they wont keep growing... My Brutus I got in Nov last year was only 2 1/2 inches and really stunted, hes 4 inches now and discus can take up to 16-24 months to be fully grown... So if your discus doesn't reach 8 inches.. big deal.. Id be happy with 5 or 6.

Also not all discus grow the same.. You can have them in perfect sized tanks, perfect water, feed them all the same food.. some will grow faster then others.. My local breeders.. you should see how many discus they have.. He can have 100 babies, in 2 large tanks.. and grow them out and split them into more tanks.. And you can have some that are 3 inches, others that are only 2 inches.. His Blue diamonds that he raised, the one I got was 4 inches, but there were others that were only 3 some that were 3 1/2 inches.. It doesn't mean he kept them in horrible conditions..

img_3207505_0_7a1607ee32c113719eb2516cc5f26bfc.jpg

img_3207505_1_8d5b6f384ba08bafdcc8cc8f8b5fb20c.jpg

Its easy to tell.. Football shape.. (young discus are always football shaped ) but if they are severely elongated and look like a stretched football with big eyes, they are stunted.. also look at the eyes.. Big eyes that pop out of the head means its stunted.. If you look at them while they look at you.. and the eyes are more inside the head.. Its fine.. but if they pop out.. they are most likely stunted.. The Original poster of this thread.. 2 of his are stunted I just didn't want to mention it to make him angry.. They will keep growing but they wont reach max size..

Hey Kris can you post better pictures of your discus ?

Back
Top Bottom