Canister air bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so, I resently purchased a used fluval 405 for my 55 gal cichlid tank. The tank used to have a brand new 2-3 month old fluval 306 but I have since moved it down to my 45 gal soon to be planted tank (also has a hob filter). The problem is with the 306 on the 45gal it spits out air bubbles and I don't wan this to kill the filter. I have a stacked tank stand so the 45 is on the lower part. Is this the problem alone because the tank isn't hight enough? Is there anything else I can do besides just get another hob filter? If I do indeed need to go that route ill just rig up both canisters to my cichlid tank.

*note - all the 306 parts were left on the 55g because that just seemed easier to me. I just swapped the media and hooked up the 405. So the 306 is being used with all the used 405 parts ( hosing, intake, output)

If the hosing diameter are the same size between both filters, then there would be no problem switching between the two. If you use smaller hoses, then you won't be getting the same flow the filter is rated for. If you restrict the amount of water going in to the filter too low you can burn out your motorhead.

Check the instruction manual that came with your 406 and it will give you the proper height range between the bottom of the filter and the top of the tank. make sure your filter fits in this range.

If you still can't figure out why you are getting bubbles then you have air entering your canister somewhere. Check the hose fitting first. Then check the o-rings and gastets.

Back
Top Bottom