Canister filter, how do adjust flow rate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beepboop

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I just bought a canister filter for my 10 gallon. It's an Eheim 2211 (made for smaller aquariums). It works well (quiet, efficient, etc), but the flow is just a little too strong for my 10 gallon.

What I'm wondering is, how should I adjust the flow? Should I control the flow at the filter intake, or return tube to the aquarium? The filter has valves on both sides and they both slow the flow equally well, I just want to know which is better for the filter. I don't want to stress and burn out the motor.

Thanks.

I found this on the Eheim site:

The flow of any EHEIM External Filter may be reduced without negative effect on the appliance. Please note: performance may only be reduced on the pressure side.

I think that means that I should only reduce the flow on the return tube from the filter to the aquarium.

I have a couple of the smaller eheims. I have controlled flow by partially closing the valve on the return side (from the filter, back to the aquarium) just as you described.

One of the best ways to combat the effects of the high flow rate though ime is to not use the included spray bar, and instead use an inflow tube that has a venturi type outlet that will significantly reduce the effect of the flow on current.

Back
Top Bottom