Canister filter. Leaked!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpellEcho

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone

I have a 55 set up in my living room with an ac70 and a fluval 305. One morning I did a water change before work. I didn't do anything different from what I normally do. Anyway I came home and with only 25% of the water left in the tank and all the water soaked my basement. I finally realized that it was my canister that was leaking. From where the lid connects to the base. I haven't hooked it up again since I'm afraid it'll happen again but I'd like to have it on there. What can I do to make sure this never happens again?

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey everyone

I have a 55 set up in my living room with an ac70 and a fluval 305. One morning I did a water change before work. I didn't do anything different from what I normally do. Anyway I came home and with only 25% of the water left in the tank and all the water soaked my basement. I finally realized that it was my canister that was leaking. From where the lid connects to the base. I haven't hooked it up again since I'm afraid it'll happen again but I'd like to have it on there. What can I do to make sure this never happens again?

Hi. Had the same problem with the same filter - ONCE!
If the filter lid is not put on parallel to the base before pushing down then the seal can kink and it will leak. Place the filter base on the floor, line the lid up with the base and lean evenly on both sides of the lid until it is place. Check that the gap at the front and and the back is minimal and even. Only then attach the catches. Do not use the catches to close the filter as this can lead to it closing unevenly, the catches are only to ensure that the filter doesn't open on its own.
I have had this filter for 3 years and it's only done it once. I now fit the top on correctly, wipe the filter down so that its dry outside, stand it on dry kitchen paper and then reconnect it etc. The paper will quickly indicate if there is a leak but mine has never leaked again.
It is my assumption that apart from catastrophic failure that all leaks should be spotted within a few minutes of filter maintenance. The last thing that I do, after cleaning up, polishing the glass etc is to check that there are no leaks. This is good general advice I think.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi. Had the same problem with the same filter - ONCE!
If the filter lid is not put on parallel to the base before pushing down then the seal can kink and it will leak. Place the filter base on the floor, line the lid up with the base and lean evenly on both sides of the lid until it is place. Check that the gap at the front and and the back is minimal and even. Only then attach the catches. Do not use the catches to close the filter as this can lead to it closing unevenly, the catches are only to ensure that the filter doesn't open on its own.
I have had this filter for 3 years and it's only done it once. I now fit the top on correctly, wipe the filter down so that its dry outside, stand it on dry kitchen paper and then reconnect it etc. The paper will quickly indicate if there is a leak but mine has never leaked again.
It is my assumption that apart from catastrophic failure that all leaks should be spotted within a few minutes of filter maintenance. The last thing that I do, after cleaning up, polishing the glass etc is to check that there are no leaks. This is good general advice I think.

Thank you. I will give it a shot. I'm just nervous ill come home to a drained tank again hah

That's understandable. I only clean my canister filters when I know I'm going to be around for a couple of hours afterwards. In all my years of fish keeping i have found that any leaks are detectable within that time. The one time it leaked I was rushing the job and then went out. It pays to take your time reassembling filters and hoses and then to monitor them for a while.

how long have you had this filter?,have you ever changed the gasket?,i have a fluval 206 and had the same problem,so i take it apart dry it where the top sits and spreaded a tiny bit of vaseline around the edge,and it worked the filter stopped leaking since then...hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have all Eheim canister and have had leaks in the past. Since then, I am very diligent about lubricating all of the gaskets with silicone grease and have never had a leak after that. You can find the silicone grease on Amazon in the scuba section.

I also sit all of my canisters in dish basins, and I check them on the days that the canisters are serviced.

Back
Top Bottom