Canister Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I have a 20 gallon tank with external filters right now. Aqua Clear which I really like. I want a canister filter with either a UV filter built in or any suggestions for an inline UV. I'd prefer to get one that handles more than 20 which I bet all of them will since external canisters aren't commonly used on a 20 gallon I was eyeballing the eheim classic 2113 (I think that's the model). Anyway let me hear your thoughts.

Fishguy2727 said:
Why do you need a canister?
Why do you need a UV?

Well I personally like the canister better. Having the equipment under the tank in a closed environment. Not sure if I am going to get the UV but obviously I'd like a slow rate one to kill

Lifeoffroad said:
Well I personally like the canister better. Having the equipment under the tank in a closed environment. Not sure if I am going to get the UV but obviously I'd like a slow rate one to kill

Sorry I meant to kill bacteria and fungu

Nobody else has an opinion in this? What if I can get a brand new fluval 205 for 100 bucks out the door.

I have a Fluval 405 on my 48 gallon and love it. A 205 would be perfect for your tank. There's lots of different options for what media you run, the ceramic bio-media is fantastic and the thing is basically silent.

With enough digging on the internet you may be able to find a steal on one. I got my 405 for around $130 with free shipping on ebay...they retail for like $260 at my lfs.

Personally I don't see a need for a UV filter (inline UV's tend to not be very effective from what I've read) and as long as you maintain a clean and healthy tank it shouldn't be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom