canister filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a penn plax casade 700 canister filter for $20 used. I have heard both good and bad things about this filter but I though...for $20 I would give it a try. My question is..can I use the established media in my hob filter and put it in my canister filter? If so, where would it go. This filter has two trays. Should I get something like biomax media first and put it in with the established media. What order does all the media go in as far as the trays go....

Bottom tray is for the sponge top tray is for bio media. There is actually quite a bit of room in the trays so you could even do sponge and carbon pack in the bottom and the bio on top. I am pretty happy with mine. There are a few design features I wish were a little bit different but once you become familiar with the filter maintenance is pretty easy. Just make sure your trays are seated properly as well as the ring on the impeller housing.

As far as using the media from your HOB as long as it fits you can use it. Unless you are planning on using the HOB for another tank I would just leave it on there. If you want to remove it completely I would still let it run on your tank for about 3 weeks while you seed your new canister with bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom