Canister Users??? HELP??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have my Fluval FX 5 all set up for my 72 gallon and it is running. It is lovely and I am certain the maintenance on it will be reasonably easy.

I'd really like to get a canister for my 36 gallon. I would have to say that the FX5 would be overkill for it? I'll be restocking it with only small fish once I move my big fish to the 72 gallon when ready.

I would like a Canister that operates just as well and easily for a smaller tank. The HOB filters just are cutting it for me anymore. The splash of the water in my family room is starting to get on my nerves. Also - I have no where to hide this filter. The FX 5, though large, looks *neat and orderly. I don't want a filter that I have to put in a bucket under my table for everyone to see. And I need something that can help me not have to maintain as much. It is getting brutal. I can't seem to keep my nitrates out of the 40-80 range with the darn pleco in there even with daily water changes and every other day vacuuming - feeding once per day. I plan to move him to the 72 BUT I want to fully stock the 36 in the future.

SO...

Who loves their Canister Filter!!?? And what do you have?

Thanks

Janelle

Canisters are fantastic. Much quieter than HOBs and more flexible in terms of output.

I can personally recommend the smaller Fluval line for your smaller tank. I use a Fluval 206 on my 26 gallon, so you might be interested in the 306. You could probably also get a 205 or 305 for cheaper (and they're still darn good).

And the benefit is that they use roughly the same filter media configurations - so you could probably transfer some of the biomedia from your FX5 to help cycle the 206/306.

I'll second Fluval's new line 6 line. I got a Fluval 406 and I couldn't be happier. I switched from a magnum 350 that was leaking. Tons of room for any combination of media you could think of, plenty of power, easy set up, etc. The only thing I don't like is the ribbed hoses. I will replace them all with regular tubing eventually.

Sunsun filters, google it and you'll see tons of positive reviews. And they ate virtually silent. I can't tell mine is on unless I touch the side of it

Joe5688 said:
Sunsun filters, google it and you'll see tons of positive reviews. And they ate virtually silent. I can't tell mine is on unless I touch the side of it

Same here. They have my loyalty. Great quality and low price.

I love my eheim. But I am a little confused. How do you plan on lowering your nitrates with a new filter? Unless you have a ugf I don't understand.
But canister filters are the way to go. They are amazing. I can barely here mine and the same with other makes as well. And you don't hear the water splashing which is a bonus!

Aquatop CF models (same as SunSuns).
Save yourself some money, take a look at them.

Cleaner tanks produce fewer nitrates - better filters allow for cleaner tanks. I don't think these 2 penguins I'm running are good enough. I can vacuum over and over and just can't keep those nitrates down... :(

I can get the fluvals (Hagen products) at wholesale (I'm a retailer of dog and cat goods with access to aquarium products also...)

But I am going to take a look at the Aquatop, Eheim & SunSun. Thank you ALL so much for your advice. I appreciate the time taken!

I have two Eheim 2217s and they are fantastic. I also have a couple of Elite Crystal-Flo which are ok but pale in comparison to the Eheim

jmpgop said:
Cleaner tanks produce fewer nitrates - better filters allow for cleaner tanks. I don't think these 2 penguins I'm running are good enough. I can vacuum over and over and just can't keep those nitrates down... :(
Nitrates can not be removed other then by water changes. They are caused by waste in your tank such as extra food and fish waste. Getting a better filter will not make that food and waste dissapear. Just because it is in the filter doesn't mean it isn't producing nitrates. It still gets broken done in your water.

I original had just a hob filter on my 35 with the ugf and had a high amount of nitrates so I bought my eheim thinking the same thing. I still had the same amount of nitrates. Just a lot of flow...
Also a clean tank is many many different things...

If you are water changing and gravel vacuuming and still have high nitrates I would test the tap water you are using. maybe the nitrates are high in your replacement water.

Alral1988 said:
Check out marinelands hot magnum. Only about 50 on amazon and gets pretty good reviews. It's a hang on back canister

yeah there good too..but its not really supposed to be used as a primary filter..the carbon only polishes water. and the micron will clog up fast. personal experience

I love my fluval 306, plan on using multiples on my 125. I use pre-filter sponge, bio max rings, and water polishing pads. Plus a spray bar. I will never purchase a hob filter ever again. Watch for sales on petco.com, I got my 306 marked at 169.95 for 116.95 which I personally think OS great.

Thank you all for your feedback.

I have decided on the Fluval G3. I was going to get the 206 and had a long talk with my distributor. He gave me the features and benes of many filters and I took all you all had to say in to consideration.

He uses the G6 for his Reef tank and LOVES it. Not only does it look *nice* but it has some really cool features. The appearance was a bit important as my 36 gallon is on a sofa table. Everything under it is visable.

Amazon.com: Fluval G3 Advanced Filtration System: Pet Supplies

And NO - this link is NOT what I'm paying for this. ;) If it were, I wouldn't be getting it! :D

Thank you all so much!

Janelle

I can get the fluvals (Hagen products) at wholesale (I'm a retailer of dog and cat goods with access to aquarium products also...)

Want to be my new friend? :brows:

Seriously though,

The Fluval 6 line is the best I've had so far. I have some 5s, but the 6s are quieter and easier to prime.

;P

I do like the Fluval FX 5 I have. It seems great so far! It is soooo quiet! I can wait to get the G3. I haven't seen many people on here who have one so we'll see. I'll give my full review! How's that?

I'm getting some Hagen lighting too for some light planting I want to do. Very exciting.

~j

Back
Top Bottom