Cannister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I seem to have a lot of particulate floating around...Im thinking I need to clean out my 2213? Is it ok to just spray down everything inside with a hose? I know bacteria and what not grow in there so Im not entirely sure what and what not to clean? I think a lot of the particulate issue was the driftwood that was added.

When you do a water change use one of your buckets that has the used tank water to clean canister components. I have a fluval and use two buckets. Charcoal and ceramic go in one bucket and sponges get cleaned in the other. If your worried about driftwood particles make sure you check the propeller

I seem to have a lot of particulate floating around...Im thinking I need to clean out my 2213? Is it ok to just spray down everything inside with a hose? I know bacteria and what not grow in there so Im not entirely sure what and what not to clean? I think a lot of the particulate issue was the driftwood that was added.
If the filter is established I typically pull out the bio-media and rinse everything else off. However, it really depends how you packed the 2213.

Rinsing it in tank water should be fairly safe.

I am just using the media the system came with...not my picture...but the 2 media are separated by a filter and then theres 2 more filters on top, the top-most being the charcoal one.

maxresdefault.jpg

Should I look into using something different?

by bio-media, you mean the balls and cylinders as posted above? Just clean out the filters, replace the charcoal one?

When you do a water change use one of your buckets that has the used tank water to clean canister components. I have a fluval and use two buckets. Charcoal and ceramic go in one bucket and sponges get cleaned in the other. If your worried about driftwood particles make sure you check the propeller

My water changes are my hooking up a system to an external hose - pulling a vacuum. I dont collect the used water.

Might want to get a 5 gallon bucket then. It's a good practice to use tank water to rinse filters.

Those ceramic rings are probably Ehfimech and can be rinsed.
The sponge can be rinsed.
The little balls are probably Ehfisubstrat and should be rinsed in tank water or not at all. This is your BIO-Media.

I have a 5 gallon bucket for a dedicated tank bucket...ill use that, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom