Can't decide about restocking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm feeling so indecisive! I'm rescapeing my tank this weekend and regaining part of my fish (my friend is taking my danios and possibly my white cloud minnows). The stock I'll be left with is this:

8 neon tetra
1 dwarf honey gourami
4 cory pygmaeus/ habrosus
1 algae eating goby (sicydium sp.)
2 mystery snail
Possibly 2 longfin white cloud minnows

29 gallon lightly planted tank with AC 70 filter

I've been thinking of getting some platies to add some more color, but I've been looking at apistos now too and those seem pretty cool. I'm intending on getting 3-4 more cory habrosus to round out my school and I've been debating whether to keep my white clouds and finish out their school (when I can find more longfin ones).

Anyone kept apistos? How sensitive are they? I know platies are pretty easy and I was intending on getting all male to avoid fry overload.

I can't decide!!

You could get 1 or 2 more dwarf gouramis and even the school of cories but I don't know how compatible apistos are to your other fish

I don't know how compatible apistos are to your other fish

That's my worry, is that they'll harass the heck out of my corys or something. Most of the info I can find on the web is just about IDing the various species, can't find much practical keeping advice. LiveAquaria.com just lists them as "difficult" but that's for various species.....so I don't know.

Platies do add a nice splash of color, but they are major poopers and will add to your bioload. eBay type of substrate do you have? If you have a natural color substrate it will show poop a lot quicker; for some (myself included!) its a nuisance on the eyes lol.

The main part of my rescapeing is switching my substrate from gravel to eco-complete. So it'll be dark black.

I know live bearers are big poopers, but they're some of the few colorful hard water tolerant fish that I can find.

Actually, I should ask how long after changing my substrate should wait before adding stock. I'm taking the danios to my friend tomorrow and changing the substrate Sat...

The main part of my rescapeing is switching my substrate from gravel to eco-complete. So it'll be dark black.

I know live bearers are big poopers, but they're some of the few colorful hard water tolerant fish that I can find.

Actually, I should ask how long after changing my substrate should wait before adding stock. I'm taking the danios to my friend tomorrow and changing the substrate Sat...

Well since your substrate is a darker color the poop doesn't sound like it will be much of an issue. When I made the switch from gravel to sand, I made the switch then added my fish as soon as I was done. You shouldn't need to wait

Good to know I don have to wait on adding more fish!

Anyone out there kept apistos and have an opinion on them in a community aquarium? How about apistos and hard water?

Back
Top Bottom