Can't decide on which filter: used Eheim 2213 or new Aquaclear 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking for a filter for a 2 foot tank.
Tank is 60 cm long (24inch), 63 liters (16g), and I have looked on eBay and found 2 possibilities. A used Eheim 2213 canister filter (4 years old) or a brand new Aquaclear 50.
They are the exact same price on eBay.

Which would most of you choose?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi sealife:

I like the Aquaclears a lot because the media chamber is pretty large and you can customize the media yourself instead of using inserts and specialized products. The only complaint about the ones I've owned is that some were a little noisy, but other than that I think they're great filters.

-Yorg

I am looking for a filter for a 2 foot tank.
Tank is 60 cm long (24inch), 63 liters (16g), and I have looked on eBay and found 2 possibilities. A used Eheim 2213 canister filter (4 years old) or a brand new Aquaclear 50.
They are the exact same price on eBay.

Which would most of you choose?

Thanks.

You must be the only person I have found that agrees with me about the Aquaclear noise. I have owned them in the past and could hear the noise from them. But everyone online swears they are silent lol.

My main issue though is the filtration. Aquaclear only has sponge and biomax. Where the Eheim has multiple layers of mechanical and bio. I guess I could customize but it will cost more.
Also the aquaclear has water bypass at the top.

You must be the only person I have found that agrees with me about the Aquaclear noise. I have owned them in the past and could hear the noise from them. But everyone online swears they are silent lol.

My main issue though is the filtration. Aquaclear only has sponge and biomax. Where the Eheim has multiple layers of mechanical and bio. I guess I could customize but it will cost more.

I have an aqua clear 30 on my tank along with a national geographic 40. In my 40 gallon tank. The water is crystal clear

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Sounds like most choose aquaclears

Hi sealife:

To be honest, I don't use the Aquaclear's sponge. I cut some bonded filter pad to line the bottom of the media basket, then I pile mesh bags of biomedia on top of it, leaving some room for any chemical media that I may have to use occasionally. In an arrangement like that, there's a lot of water movement and circulation in the media chamber; I find it makes the bypass less important since the dwell time of the water in the chamber is quite high (especially at the lower water flow level).

-Yorg

Back
Top Bottom