Can't keep my hands out of the tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SittingDuck

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wondering how many people can actually sit down and "enjoy" their tank without fiddling with it. I really enjoy the hobby...I love watching the fish glide from side to side and find it very relaxing. But I'm always sitting infront of the tank thinking "You know, that rock would look better over there" or "I would really love to buy a new rock/log/plant so that it would fill in that area better."

I find that I am usually in the tank more than watching it...fiddling with this and that, cleaning something or moving something rather than just sitting back and enjoying it. Anyone else have this? Or am I just a freak?

HAHA, you are defiantely not a freak. I sit on the couch and stare at the 150 and think, "man they are digging up that plant again, I really need to move it. They are pushing sand inside that cave, I should dig that out." BUT, I don't ever touch it. It's my fiance's tank so I don't touch it. I make comments but never move anything. It's his arm that hits the tank. :D

I rarely put my hands in the tank. SO i guess I am the usual one here ;) I move and adjust things with a long plastic tube or a net.

my fish used to practically jump out of the tank when i put my hands in there but now they swim up against my arm since they're so used to it :p

I move stuff around in the tank, but not that much. The only time my hands are in my tank is when i'm attaching cucumber or lettuce to the veggie clips for my plecos or when I'm doing a PWC.

-Stewie

Usually I wait and don't move anything around until the next time I do a pwc. Only exception would be if there is truly a need to put my arm in there, i.e. I just planted a new plant and it somehow has become uprooted and is floating on the surface.

To wash or not to wash... I am always wondering if it is better to wash my hands prior to fiddling with my tank, or leave them be as is. Any thoughts if the soap I may leave on my hands is more harmful than any of the bacteria that they may have if Idon't wash them first?

But yeah... definitely always lokoing to see what else can be changed, I am probably not my fishs' favortie person :lol:

never wash with soap before putting your hands in the tank! Just rinse your hands with water, that will be good enough. Soaps and other things like hand lotions have residues that are toxic to fish, and you are far more likely to harm them that way than you are with any bacteria or "dirt" that might be on your hands to begin with.

Remember, these fish in nature live in rivers, lakes, etc...not exactly pristine environments.

Back
Top Bottom