Can't keep water clear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjas007

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

Need a lil help on how to keep my freshwater tank water clear - I do a 50% water change on my 10gal tank (houses 3 danios and 3 platys) and by the 2nd day the tank is all cloudy. I've even put in some drops to clear the water and this doesn't help. This happens every water change and I've even used bottled water with the same results - my fish aren't sick are anything and they have a healthy appetite,

All I want is to see my fish :(

PS - I also wash the ornaments as well.

Oh just in case anyone was wondering about my Gurl betta I lost her last week she fought as long as she could but couldn't recover

I'm so sorry to hear about your betta.

What are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? Stop adding chemicals to clear the water--we'll get to the bottom of this the old fashion way!
I also wash the ornaments as well.
What's on them?

You say the water is cloudy--like a haze, does it have a color?

I don't know the all parameters but i do know that the ammonia level is 0 (I went to buy a kit to test all parameters and it cost a lil' more than could I afford today - I'll have to get it fri). I didn't add any chemicals (i did use aquarium salt and aquasafe for stress). I clean the ornaments of the poop and food that is still in the tank from when i vaccuum the tank out and also from what the filter doesn't get out. I do a 50% water change cause the water is cloudy (hazy appearance). I've been running the tank for about 2 months. (Yes I'm a Newbie trying to get a handle on my fish friends home).

This sounds like the tank is not fully cycled. Doing a 50% water change and cleaning everything is slowing down the cycle.

Incidenly, I have found that since I have stopped adding chemicals to my tanks and just using distilled water the water seems alot clearer. People keep commenting on how nice and clean the tanks look. I just make sure that my tanks are properly cycled before I add fish. I have also noticed that I no longer have to worry about the hard water stains I was getting before on the rim of the tank.

I agree with menagerie. What I'm thinking is that you're having a bacterial bloom. You have to wait it out and then suddenly one morning you'll wake and the water will be crystal clear. :) As long as your ammonia and nitrites are low I would avoid water changes and let the tank cycle through the bloom.

Kool, I appreciate the info - but here's another question - what is bacterial bloom and cycling? :?

Ah!! The perfect questions from a new comer!! Read about the nitrogen cycle in the articles section and this thread is also good. Bacterial blooms are commonly found in new tanks, part of the "new tank syndrome." I found this article to explain cloudy tanks.
Kudos to you for asking!

Menagerie, Thank You for the info I checked out those threads and they were very helpful. I have another 10gal tank that I'm not going to be so anxious to put fish in, what I would like to do is put plants in this one first and then put a few fish in once its cycled do you have any easy info on how to do plants?

I do hope to someday get a larger tank with first things first to perform a fishless cycle and then rehouse my lil' Babies.

To All Involved - I really appreciate all the time You put in to this website to keep us Newbies informed on the how to's and what to's and when to's. My Fish are more than just a hobby their almost an extension of Myself we are attached as being dependent on the other :!:

rhas007,
When you have the cash, I think it would be very helpful for you to purchase the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master test kit that contains the nitrate test. AP makes 2 master test kits, and the one with the nitrate test is a great kit especially for newbies. The ammonia test in that kit is the one that won't give a false positive when using amquel plus or ammo lock (you will learn about that later), and the nitrate test will tell you when your tank is cycled. I bought the older master test kit when I started, and paid almost the same amount again just for the nitrate test, so this new master test kit is really a great deal for the money!

Rex Grigg has a great article on basics for starting a planted tank. Check it out in the Articles section at the top of the page.

Okay I obtained my AP freshwater master test kit yesterday - I tested the water yesterday and today with the same results... ammonia 4, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph 8 (I have 2 oto's, 3 platy's and 4 danios). I think I might know why my ammonia is high I didn't have my filter running cause I just bought my cartridge yesterday as well and I added about a gallon of water cause it was low. What do I need to do to get the ammonia down or should I wait it out - and my water is lil' clearer than I have ever seen it before... yippee!!!

For my second 10gal tank with no fish - on the fishless cycle if I understand correctly the tank should be fully running whether I use raw shrimp or ammonia. With that being the case with regards to the filter is it ok to use an under gravel filter. What I want to put in this tank once its ready is my 2 male betta's (Sam and Snow - divided of course) with 2 fantail guppy's and an oto on each side. Making a total of 4 guppy's 2 oto's and 2 betta's. Will this be ok, I'm most concerned about the filter I'm asking about that cause I read that betta's don't like a lot of current.

Thanks for any info on both areas.

For your second question -- I have never done fishless cycling. Do a search here for it. I know many members have used this method. I do think that either ammonia or a raw shrimp can be used. The shrimp will probably get a little smelly!

About your setup -- I would not use an undergravel filter. There are better ways to filter the tank and help the good bacteria along. I have read that undergravel filters can become clogged and generally can be more trouble than they are worth. You are right that bettas don't like current. For the 10 gallon, consider a sponge filter or a small HOB filter. I have a sponge filter, run thru a gang valve, to regulate the airflow, so that it isn't too strong of a current for the betta. Aqua Clear HOB filters have an adjustable flow rate, so the bettas wouldn't need to be in high current.

For the other occupants of the tank, cory cats will most likely get along with bettas, but they need to be in groups of 3 or more to be happy. I think 6 cories and 2 bettas may be overstocking a 10 gallon, though. The fantail guppies may not be a good choice either. Depending on how colorful they are, and how long the fins are, the betta could think that they are another betta. They may fight, and they wouldn't have a lot of room to get away from each other.

I have seen in other posts that African dwarf frogs (not the clawed ones) and ghost shrimp are good betta tankmates. I have had ghost shrimp in with a betta, and the betta didn't pay attention to the shrimp, really. ( I just had to make sure that the curious betta didn't see the shrimp's food!) At the hatchery that I go to, I have seen bettas in tanks with the dwarf frogs.

Back
Top Bottom